Author Topic: Is this a font or custom?  (Read 1037 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Is this a font or custom?
« on: May 15, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »
Looking for the font used by the Ohio River and Western. I can post car drawings with lettering, but here is an image online:
http://www.hammriver.com/Hamm_River_Model_Products/Decals_files/OR%26Wdecals_2.jpg

Is this a stock font or a custom made job?

Looking for the same font for my Mill Creek Coal & Coke Co. railroad.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Is this a font or custom?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:55:54 AM »
There might be something close but that 'R' looks custom.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
This one may have been a real font... 100+ years ago. My clue is the attention paid to curves and fillets. However, it has the earmark (angled, straightened curves) of a woodcut font, a popular medium for "display" fonts, that is, intended for headlines and signage. Wooden fonts didn't survive very many trips through the press. Stress points would crack and eventually chunks of the ink surface would break off. I even wonder if that is what happened to the 'R', it was a repair after the serif broke off the right leg.

If you find a font designer with a penchant for accurate reproductions of 19th Century woodcut fonts, this might be in the mix. But the likelihood of a complete, specific reference alphabet making it past usage is pretty slim.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 12:15:16 PM »
Check out www.1001freefonts.com    While a quick review of their "Western fonts"  didn't turn up an exact match, there are a lot that have the same feel
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N