Author Topic: New Vintage Fuel Tankers from Trainworx  (Read 7156 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: New Vintage Fuel Tankers from Trainworx
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 03:52:51 AM »
Oh well I ordered 3

Shell .......... I saw road maps of Wyoming by Shell , and a mention of Wyoming and Shell in the same sentence .  So I ordered it . Then found out there are 2 other states with cities named Wyoming . As   
                        best as I can figure out there is no Shell in Wyoming , and off chute maybe . So Mr. fancy 2 tone is slated for route 80 .

Sinclair ...... Because there are so many in Wyoming , and a town named Sinclair where it was refined or something .

Mobile ....... Because in Granger Wyoming there was a famous huge rest stop " Coveys Little America " that pumped Mobile . Other Little America's in Wyoming pumped Sinclair and maybe some other gas .

My Wyoming & La Grande east end is just east of Granger at Green River , well in my head it is , along with 9 yards of rocks .

Richie Dost

Jim Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 06:30:49 AM »
I would like to order some,however what models would be suitable for a layout based in the Connecticut region-New Haven in the '50s or '60s.

Jim
Modelling the NH-Downunder

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 02:12:02 PM »
Oh well I ordered 3

Shell .......... I saw road maps of Wyoming by Shell , and a mention of Wyoming and Shell in the same sentence .  So I ordered it . Then found out there are 2 other states with cities named Wyoming . As   
                        best as I can figure out there is no Shell in Wyoming , and off chute maybe . So Mr. fancy 2 tone is slated for route 80 .

Sinclair ...... Because there are so many in Wyoming , and a town named Sinclair where it was refined or something .

Mobile ....... Because in Granger Wyoming there was a famous huge rest stop " Coveys Little America " that pumped Mobile . Other Little America's in Wyoming pumped Sinclair and maybe some other gas .

My Wyoming & La Grande east end is just east of Granger at Green River , well in my head it is , along with 9 yards of rocks .

Richie,

If the west end of your layout makes into Idaho and Oregon, there were plenty of Shell stations along US 30 in the 1950s.  Texaco, Flying A and Standard were also common in Idaho in the 1950s.
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
I think Esso is my only option for Oregon that I like. If decals were available I would just buy one and help it lose the lower skirting, which would make it more appropriate for the late 60s/early 70s. Like this:

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »

Sinclair ...... Because there are so many in Wyoming , and a town named Sinclair where it was refined

Still is! Sinclair consists of a refinery and small town of about 500 on I-80 just east of Rawlings WY. Its kind of an interesting little place.

Tom L.
Wellington CO.

fixed quote tag -gfh
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:41:37 PM by GaryHinshaw »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
Richie,

If the west end of your layout makes into Idaho and Oregon, there were plenty of Shell stations along US 30 in the 1950s.  Texaco, Flying A and Standard were also common in Idaho in the 1950s.

I found this just off of rt 80 in Evanston Wy , It doesn't say Shell but if you put your ear to the screen you can feel the heat of the beach . Evanston is so near Utah you can walk it . This shot is looking east . 2122 Harrison Dr, Evanston, , the map says Sinclair but street view shows below . I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW WHEN THE SWITCHER-ROO happened .

Richie Dost

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 04:23:13 PM »
I would like to order some,however what models would be suitable for a layout based in the Connecticut region-New Haven in the '50s or '60s.

Jim
Modelling the NH-Downunder

Mobil, Esso, Sunoco, Gulf, Shell were all around in CT at the time. Texaco and Chevron are possible as well.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »
Otto,

The production dates for the prototype Peterbilt 350 were 1949 to 1957.  The production dates for the Peterbilt 351 were 1954 to 1976.

I have started doing the research to determine if the paint schemes featured in the Peterbilt 350 sets are good back to 1949.  At this point, I am fairly certain the Texaco truck will be good for 1951, and most likely the others as well.

Edit:  Classic Metal Works made their HO 1941-46 Chevy in a very similar Texaco paint scheme.

Thank you, Carter, info appreciated.
I knew the 350 was appropriate, have a couple of them, just not the tanks. I think I'll be safe with one Mobilgas for my SoCal layout.

Otto K.

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2017, 11:38:54 PM »
Thank you, Carter, info appreciated.
I knew the 350 was appropriate, have a couple of them, just not the tanks. I think I'll be safe with one Mobilgas for my SoCal layout.

Otto K.

Otto,

You are very welcome.  These trucks are really a niche market, so the more information we can find about them, the better.

And speaking of information, I "discovered" the Idaho Historical Society lets one search their photo galleries for gas stations.  I tried searching "gas" "station" and "service" and came up with more "brands" than I could remember from my childhood.

Other states my have similar photo archives that are searchable.
Carter

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 01:45:49 AM »
Pasco, WA had both Shell and Mobil in the 1960s and 70s.
N Kalanaga
Be well

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
I can see a Sunoco and a Gulf. Wish they would do Sohio at some point.

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 11:51:08 PM »
Here is what I was able to confirm from the historical photos for gas station "brands" in southwest Idaho in the 1950s:

Chevron
Conoco
Flying A
Mobil
Phillips 66
Richfield
Shell
Sinclair
Standard
Texaco
Union 76
Utoco
Veltex

Wow, that's 7 of the paint schemes being released by Trainworx.  I am not sure I can justify that many for my small 1950s era portable layout.   :D

There were also some "independent" stations such as the Fearless Ferris Stinker stations and at least one Gas for Less station.
Carter

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 12:19:56 AM »
Financing for these should not be a problem. Buy 2 for every one you want, sell the extras on eBay, get all your money back. I don't know if Trainworx advertises in the car/truck collector mags/websites but if not the first time the crazollectors see them will be in auction on eBay. And the prices will go sky-high.

I have a picture of a trailer like this from a "Little Wonder Book" (a kid's reference series) with a print date of 1946. Maybe the cabs will be post '51, but the trailers or slightly modified ones were around apparently at least since then.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
Pasco, WA had both Shell and Mobil in the 1960s and 70s.

I bought the highest octane gas for my hi-perf 289 equipped 66 Mustang GT at the Union 76 station half a mile from my parent's home in Kennewick in 1966 thru 1968 when I left town for college.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:13:01 AM by robert3985 »

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »
Financing for these should not be a problem. Buy 2 for every one you want, sell the extras on eBay, get all your money back. I don't know if Trainworx advertises in the car/truck collector mags/websites but if not the first time the crazollectors see them will be in auction on eBay. And the prices will go sky-high.

I have a picture of a trailer like this from a "Little Wonder Book" (a kid's reference series) with a print date of 1946. Maybe the cabs will be post '51, but the trailers or slightly modified ones were around apparently at least since then.

I have been able to determine the trailer styling (but not necessarily the Trainworx prototype) goes back to the 1930s, so the paint schemes on the Peterbilt 350s should be good from 1949, and well into the 1960s.  Similarly, the paint schemes for the Peterbilt 351s should be good from 1954, and well into the 1960s.  Smaller. shorter haul fuel dealers may have kept the trailers around a little longer, even after the higher capacity 40-foot trailers became the norm.
Carter