Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/7/17  (Read 8774 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Weekend Update 5/7/17
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »
I guess that's one way to do it - though @davefoxx seems to be blowin them out successfully.

Yep, you just got take the hit and price them to move.   Don't look back; no regrets.  If you look at your collection as an investment, well, yeah, you'll likely go to the grave with them, because no one will pay those prices.  I chose to move my N scale collection quickly and offered nice quality items for really good prices.  I'm not coming out ahead, but I am now getting cash to help fund the HO purchases and start a new layout.  Otherwise, what good are the N scale trains packed away in boxes doing for me?   Now, I'm focused on the positives of the new collection and not the disappointment of selling the old collection cheap.  It's exciting to start over.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
+1
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  I speed-matched my HO locomotives last night, so I can play with them today!  :)  Oh, and I'll probably start a list of N scale stuff priced to sell quickly.  Stay tuned.

DFF

You guys are like The Sirens leading me in to the rocks...I stopped modeling in HO like 24 years ago but the desire never waned and I must admit that like the reformed alcoholic who keeps a bottle stashed in the closet, I've had a few HO scale cars stashed in the closet for 20 years. Then add in my son elbowing me in the side frequently saying "Pop, Steve Kolarz's switching layout is cool, can we do something in HO?" doesn't help the matter either...

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:14:08 PM by jpec »
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2017, 03:36:36 PM »
+3
You guys are like The Sirens leading me in to the rocks...I stopped modeling in HO like 24 years ago but the desire never waned and I must admit that like the reformed alcoholic who keeps a bottle stashed in the closet, I've had a few HO scale cars stashed in the closet for 20 years. Then add in my son elbowing me in the side frequently saying "Pop, Steve Kolarz's switching layout is cool, can we do something in HO?" doesn't help the matter either...

Jeff

:facepalm:

It is all DFF's fault - he started this - like a deadly avalanche, bunch of closet H0ers are jumping the N scale ship.  Fine! We didn't need you anyway!    :P ;)
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2017, 04:17:46 PM »
+1
...closet H0ers...

If you read it fast it just doesn't sound right.  :)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »
+1
If you read it fast it just doesn't sound right.  :)

LOL - it sure does. I like it!  8)
. . . 42 . . .

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2017, 05:40:07 PM »
+2

It is all DFF's fault - he started this - like a deadly avalanche, bunch of closet H0ers are jumping the N scale ship.  Fine! We didn't need you anyway!    :P ;)

And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for those meddling kids.   :D

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »
+2

Hey, I've been a closet HOer since--oh, wait...  That's not what you meant.   :facepalm:

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2017, 06:17:58 PM »
Been in HO since 1978,but got into N scale in 1993 just to prove that you did not need a layout to be a model railroad club (we had a large NTRAK layout). Decided I liked  the scale and stayed with it as my main scale until 2008 when I found some Z scale at a price I couldn't pass up. :D

N is still my main scale and most likely will be till they pry my NCE controller out of my lifeless fingers.Oh and I still model in HO. :o
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2017, 08:01:34 PM »
I guess that's one way to do it - though @davefoxx seems to be blowin them out successfully.

It not a method, it's a madness here.  I am better stocked in my basement than about 65% of hobby shops. If I'm had fewer jewel boxes I could add more staging.
Peter Pfotenhauer

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »
It not a method, it's a madness here.  I am better stocked in my basement than about 65% of hobby shops. If I'm had fewer jewel boxes I could add more staging.

If you're looking to get rid of some of those jewel boxes, I'm looking for some, including Atlas Corn Syrup cars and Red Caboose Centerbeam cars.  :D

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »
+1
Not so different than the term THOT.

THOOT  That HOer Over There .

If I was 12 feet tall I would be a THOOT , as long as my house was 8 times the volume .

Richie Dost

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
I'm going old school TT.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
I'm going old school TT.

That is how I started in model railroading (in the communist Poland).  :)  I still have some of my original models (Berliner Bahnen/Zeuke TT).  At least it is not Horribly Oversize.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2017, 10:08:09 PM »
+3
Must not be very many old ex-N scalers with shortsightedness -- I mean the visual kind, not the regretful kind. As I grow older I've found my shortsighted eyes have gotten longer and longer focal depth, so now I can see very clearly up to a foot+ away without glasses. Perfect for doing N scale. Working closely on a car loco building or scenic detail is extremely easy for me. Of course, my eyes can't magnify things so I can't by eye read all that tiny lettering on the sides of MTL cars so I need help for that. But for cutting small parts for buildings or reading numbers off a freight car during an operating session my eyes get more N-scale friendly every year. My optometrist tells me this condition is normal for most near-sighted people. So this scientifically proves there are no near-sighted HO modelers.  :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:
(yes THAT was sarcastic but the rest of it isn't)