Author Topic: HO Scale Seaboard Central 3.0  (Read 43195 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +642
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: HO Scale Seaboard Central 3.0
« Reply #630 on: January 08, 2019, 07:29:12 PM »
+2
That's a good looking casting.  Maybe you should go into production with it...
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1418
Re: HO Scale Seaboard Central 3.0
« Reply #631 on: January 13, 2019, 07:37:39 AM »
+3
After a week of staring at the abutment, I decided to live with it.  I had another idea for a different shape abutment, but that plan was hampered by a turnout at one end of the bridge, preventing me from trimming back the fill on each end of the bridge.  So, I rebuilt the form and poured the second abutment yesterday.  Again, I'm using anchoring cement.

You probably noticed that the second abutment is shorter and had to be shimmed.  Part of that was by design to allow me to fit the bridge and two abutments under installed track.  It's still going to have to be pulled, so I can finish the "fill" around the abutments and finish and paint the lake underneath the bridge.

Getting the bridge fit allowed me to finally take on a task that I dreaded but had to do.  About 12" of track on one side of the bridge had a serious dip as a result of replacing a chunk of 2" foam subroadbed in a prior redesign of the track plan.  It took 0.040" and 0.020" shims to level the track!  Look at the daylight under the track!  But, I used thick CA and glued the shims to the cork and the track to the shims.  Trains run much better through this spot, and there's no longer the concern for an unwanted uncoupling.  :P

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL and Conrail Historical Societies
A Proud HOer