Author Topic: The Carolina Sandhills Lines in HO Scale  (Read 298661 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: The Carolina Sandhills Lines in HO Scale
« Reply #2430 on: January 09, 2022, 02:39:59 PM »
Go team weird soil colors! (Upstate Carolinas are red clay)! That station looks fantastic and the foundation area is extremely well done, especially with the floor beds cut in. You’re really capturing the look and few of the region well!

Thanks, Sawyer!  When I lived in Lewisville, North Carolina, I built a fenced-in area for our dogs.  That red clay doesn’t yield well to a post hole digger.  I won, but at the expense of a lot of blisters.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2431 on: January 09, 2022, 03:32:04 PM »
+6
A second coat of Light Aircraft Gray has been applied to the foundation/sidewalks, and this piece has been glued down with some Super Tacky craft glue.  Now, just waiting for the paint to set and the glue to dry.  I may start ballasting around the foundation this afternoon or evening.  We'll see.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #2432 on: January 09, 2022, 05:00:02 PM »
+1
Dave - If you’ll pardon this ignorant warm/hot country question, are the chimney’s really as high above the roof peaks on the prototype as they are on your model? Beautiful model, but those chimneys just look out of proportion to me, but I’m probably wrong. It almost looks like they built them to the level of the flare, then added more to adjust the draw.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #2433 on: January 09, 2022, 05:11:21 PM »
+1
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2434 on: January 09, 2022, 08:02:52 PM »
Dave - If you’ll pardon this ignorant warm/hot country question, are the chimney’s really as high above the roof peaks on the prototype as they are on your model? Beautiful model, but those chimneys just look out of proportion to me, but I’m probably wrong. It almost looks like they built them to the level of the flare, then added more to adjust the draw.

Great question.  My chimneys are not glued in yet.  They're just stuck in there when I'm not working on the structure, so that I don't misplace or damage them.  They're still removable, so that I can apply the roof shingle decals without having to work around the chimneys.  I also don't want to jam them down in so far that I either damage the roof sheathing or get the chimneys stuck.   I'll adjust the height to something proper on the final installation.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #2435 on: January 09, 2022, 09:20:25 PM »
+1
If anything, they might be a little big.
Bryan

Member of MRHA

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2436 on: January 09, 2022, 10:17:32 PM »
+2
If anything, they might be a little big.

Maybe.  I’m not building a scale model.  In case you’re unaware, when @wm3798 designed this model back in 2016, we left off the baggage area and selectively compressed the south end of the station.  Like the rest of my layout, I’m just trying to get the “feel” of the structure.  This is a hobby, and, if I let it get to me that it has to be perfect, that’ll suck the fun right out of this.  So, I subscribe to the Allen McClelland mantra of “good enough.”

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2437 on: January 09, 2022, 10:23:59 PM »
+3
I applied some ballast to the area (A lineal foot of ballast every night!), and while that was drying, I put in the first layer of ground foam for the “mulched” flower beds behind the station.  Another pack of tulips is standing at the ready.  :)

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #2438 on: January 09, 2022, 10:50:28 PM »
+1
Maybe.  I’m not building a scale model.

Thanks,
DFF

Oh, I know that.  I was only offering a possibility for why they might appear too tall.
I’m a fan of the build and everything you’re doing.
Bryan

Member of MRHA

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2439 on: January 10, 2022, 10:34:00 AM »

Oh, I know that.  I was only offering a possibility for why they might appear too tall.
I’m a fan of the build and everything you’re doing.

Thanks, Bryan.  I appreciate your support.  Once it comes time to permanently secure the chimneys in the roof, I'll take a look at that photo you re-posted and make some estimates of measurements to determine a good height for the chimneys.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2440 on: January 10, 2022, 10:41:18 AM »

Okay, curiosity got me.  Making estimates from this photo, let's assume the exterior doors are 80" tall.  I estimate that the chimneys stick above the peak about two-thirds of the height of the entry doors, which would be approximately 53" (although the chimneys are farther away from the photographer than the door).  I don't know where I remember this from (and I certainly don't know the building code in Moore County, North Carolina), but the figure of 5' above the highest portion of the roof sticks out in my mind as code somewhere.  If so, that would mean the top of the chimney would be 60" above the peak.  I'll try to put a scale ruler on the model tonight.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #2441 on: January 10, 2022, 10:58:10 AM »
+1
The current station chimneys appear to be 18-19 courses of brick .. but it also looks like they were cut down at some point .. to about where the 2nd brick bump out would be ... so depending on your time frame -- its either too high, or too low ..

According to my reference below -- 3 courses of standard brick are about 8" tall ..  so if my math is correct (19/3)*8"=50" or about 4.2' tall from the base..    . the original chimney is another 5 or 6 courses high with some kind of box thing on top of that .. so add another 16" for bricks, and probably 12" for the boxy thing

https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/masonry/bricksizes.html

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:00:41 AM by John »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2442 on: January 10, 2022, 11:12:03 AM »
Thanks, John!  I'll aim for the height of the older, pre-modified chimneys, although I didn't model that small brick arch on top.  I'll also have to remember to measure from the bottom of the chimney at its lowest point where it pierces the roof and not just what's above the peak, as you estimated.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2443 on: January 11, 2022, 11:12:57 AM »
According to my reference below -- 3 courses of standard brick are about 8" tall ..  so if my math is correct (19/3)*8"=50" or about 4.2' tall from the base..    . the original chimney is another 5 or 6 courses high with some kind of box thing on top of that .. so add another 16" for bricks, and probably 12" for the boxy thing

Using @John's math, the chimney should be approximately 78" tall.  When I put a scale ruler on the model last night, I found the chimneys were loosely fit at a height of 93".  So, when I go to permanently install the chimneys, they will be set 15" lower than they now appear in photos.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #2444 on: January 11, 2022, 12:58:10 PM »
+2
Using @John's math, the chimney should be approximately 78" tall.  When I put a scale ruler on the model last night, I found the chimneys were loosely fit at a height of 93".  So, when I go to permanently install the chimneys, they will be set 15" lower than they now appear in photos.

DFF

Glad to be of help .. I can't model worth a hoot -- but I can research ;)