Author Topic: The Carolina Sandhills Lines in HO Scale  (Read 299316 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
Re: HO Scale Seaboard Central 3.0
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2017, 01:08:28 AM »
Looks a tad snug along the right side under the turd pipe...  Are you going to jigsaw the edge to follow the flow of the track to allow your more full figured operators to switch the industries there?  Or will you provide a hard hat to prevent injuries that might be adjudicated in a manner you might not find favorable, counselor?

Lee

Looks like its about as wide as two cinder blocks are long -- 32" total?

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:30 AM »
An good Japanese razor  saw will make short work of lauan.  Plus they are really handy for most woodworking projects.

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »
I like the track plan, but that's a nasty 'S' curve where the curved turnout leads into the wye....

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »
what's your plan for turnout-control?

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
Looks a tad snug along the right side under the turd pipe...  Are you going to jigsaw the edge to follow the flow of the track to allow your more full figured operators to switch the industries there?  Or will you provide a hard hat to prevent injuries that might be adjudicated in a manner you might not find favorable, counselor?

Lee

It's plenty of room for just me- a lone wolf operator, but the joists will be cut back and room on both sides of the layout will be increased.  Refer to the track plan on the previous page for an idea of how the table will be cut back.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »
An good Japanese razor  saw will make short work of lauan.  Plus they are really handy for most woodworking projects.

I've been looking for an excuse to get one of those Japanese saws, but, in this case, I'l be using my jigsaw to make short work of the lauan plywood and 1"x2" joists.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
I like the track plan, but that's a nasty 'S' curve where the curved turnout leads into the wye....

That's a good catch.  I'll be aware of that now and will do what I can to reduce that problem.

what's your plan for turnout-control?

Coincidentally, I just ordered three Bullfrog manual controllers from Fast Tracks on Sunday to try them out and see if they'll work for my needs.  I prefer manual control and already have at least three Hex Frog Juicers in my possession left over from the expanded Seaboard Central 2.0 that was torn down.  I'm sure someone will offer that the Bullfrog can be used for powering the frogs, but, again, I already have three Juicers in my possession, and, besides, I prefer the Juicer's ability to prevent short circuits that decoders don't like.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/bullfrogs

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #202 on: May 31, 2017, 07:25:04 AM »

You could put a diamond there instead of two back to back turnouts, making a scissors wye -- you can still access both legs of the wye from either end, just have a longer run, with one route a long curve and the other with a good straight section (through the diamond) between the reverse curves.  You can still keep the lower LH passing siding by using two turnouts off the inner curve to the outer if you need to.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:28:09 AM by OldEastRR »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »
I looked at it last night and believe I can easily add a 9" straight section to avoid the s-curve.  So, thankfully, the complexity of a scissors wye isn't necessary.

Thanks,
Dave

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #204 on: May 31, 2017, 09:54:03 AM »
I looked at it last night and believe I can easily add a 9" straight section to avoid the s-curve.  So, thankfully, the complexity of a scissors wye isn't necessary.

Thanks,
Dave

Momma said no playing with scissors.  :D
Peter Pfotenhauer

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2017, 12:02:28 AM »
+1
I spent an hour or two in the layout room tonight starting to lay out the track on the table.  I've got the four-track yard and the wye laid out:

I'm pleased with the capacity of the two shortest tracks: seven freight cars comfortably.  Now keep in mind that if this turns out too short, I will add a folding staging shelf like the one I built on the Seaboard Central 2.0, that could almost double the capacity of the yard.  However, at this time, I think I can live with the capacity as it stands:

This picture shows how I cut up a wye turnout to smooth the track alignment between the wye and the curved turnout.  Originally, the wye had more of a straight section, which caused a flat spot in the track work.  You can see just how much of the straight portion of the diverging routes I removed, which smooths the curve through the turnouts and also bought me a couple of inches that I can use to eliminate the s-curve on the other end of the wye.  It appears that I can add an 8" or 9" piece of straight track there, so that should minimize any problems:

A so-so picture that shows the improved track alignment through the turnouts.  Much better!

DFF
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:43:03 PM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5522
« Reply #206 on: June 01, 2017, 12:25:32 AM »
+1
Go HO go!   :lol:

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #207 on: June 01, 2017, 12:31:24 AM »
+1
What's the radius on those wyes? They look almost trolley-esque.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #208 on: June 01, 2017, 12:43:58 AM »
+1
Looks like nice Peco track!  A bit wide for my taste, but still nice.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #209 on: June 01, 2017, 07:05:14 AM »
Looks like nice Peco track!  A bit wide for my taste, but still nice.  :D

It's actually Walthers Code 83, i.e., Shinohara.  Thanks!

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!