Author Topic: MTL May 2017 Releases  (Read 2275 times)

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
Re: MTL May 2017 Releases
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 07:56:43 PM »
 :ashat: Other than the fact that I am an old guy (age 73), I still miss Burlington Northern cascade green.  Sure BNSF looks OK, but the occasional still-green BN rolling stock causes a second glance.  Yeah, there is some green BN N-scale in my modest collection, but I don't own any BNSF and don't plan on changing. Since BN bought ATSF, looks like they could have kept their classic simple BN cascade green.  Uncle Pete bought several railroads and remained Union Pacific. Naturally, I have a few UP locos and cars, plus a new UP Building America flying flag GE locomotive in N scale. 

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 08:53:58 PM »
BN really didn't buy Santa Fe.  It was a genuine merger.  Not that you're wrong, they could have kept Cascade Green .... or the warbonnet, if they wanted to.  Instead they chose to use GN colors.   :facepalm:

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +205
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »
Of interesting note is the announcement of the RBB&B advertising cars.  The first two are scheduled for September.  I've seen historical color pics of the parlor in a book so that one is legit for sure.

@bbussey

Bryan, can you peg a date on that color photo?

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
I guess technically they are one of the April weathered releases, but the UP 4 car covered hopper weathered set is simply outstanding. I love the ghost lettering on the 4th car where the black has faded to just a faint outline for many letters.

@Shipsure keep up the good work. And after the April expenses I'm kinda glad you went easy on my wallet this month with the May releases. :D
Peter Pfotenhauer

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1239
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
@bbussey
Bryan, can you peg a date on that color photo?

Mark,
Early if I remember correctly.  1930s/1940s.  Pre WWII.  The parlor is the later car, but I don't know if it lasted until the hospital cars were acquired.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 04:39:29 PM »

Hmm... how did that
happen...?

@Kisatchie, it musta been adopted.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +205
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
Mark,
Early if I remember correctly.  1930s/1940s.  Pre WWII.  The parlor is the later car, but I don't know if it lasted until the hospital cars were acquired.

Thanks Bryan!

Digging around a little, the Lionel site provides the following info:

This advertising car worked for several of the circuses Ringling Bros. acquired with the 1929 purchase of the American Circus Corporation. In 1938 it was repainted for Ringling Bros., serving as their last heavyweight advertising car through 1946, when itwas ‘demoted’ to laundry car.

http://www.lionel.com/products/ringling-brostrade-1938-46-18-heavyweight-advertising-car-6-22513/

Shipsure

• Crew
  • Respect: +678
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2017, 12:15:55 PM »
:ashat: Other than the fact that I am an old guy (age 73), I still miss Burlington Northern cascade green.  Sure BNSF looks OK, but the occasional still-green BN rolling stock causes a second glance.  Yeah, there is some green BN N-scale in my modest collection, but I don't own any BNSF and don't plan on changing. Since BN bought ATSF, looks like they could have kept their classic simple BN cascade green.  Uncle Pete bought several railroads and remained Union Pacific. Naturally, I have a few UP locos and cars, plus a new UP Building America flying flag GE locomotive in N scale.

All you need to do is go just south of Klamath Falls Oregon to the Gateway area and you'll see a number of BN Green locos working all the feed and grain mills along the Oregon California boarder.  I was shocked to see them...I have pics someplace.

Joe