Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this paint?  (Read 974 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: Anyone know anything about this paint?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:26:43 AM »
ROFL! I was one "Post" button away from the same question last night! Great minds, and all that...

Yeah, I saw that on MBK yesterday. Also, the Mission Models paint line was featured up front in the most recent Micro Mark catalog, but at the moment is poorly represented on their website. Impression is it is some manner of equivalent or competitor to Acrylicos Vallejo hobby paints, with colors primarily targeted at the military modeler.

I'm curious about Mission Models paints for curiosity's sake. I use Tru-Color on models, but am developing an affinity for Vallejo for scenery and weathering especially since I can get Vallejo locally. Sorta kinda not interested in debugging and otherwise learning a new paint. Here's hoping somebody else is, and can make the comparison.

The disappearance of Floquil and Polly-Scale sure has shuffled the market, hasn't it? :(

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
it has, and when your nearest hobby shop is now over 2 hours away you have to develop tools for choosing paints to ship.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »
OK, I think I may have stumbled into the logic behind offering a new line of paint - cost. Very roughly, Mission is half the price per oz. than AV. Given the very small quantities I think this is important, because on a typical airbrushing project I seem to use (lose) more paint in the cleanup than what goes down on the model, especially if I over-fill the cup. Have you ever tried to get AV back into the little squeeze bottle. :x  If Mission is anything close to AV in terms of pigment density and ease of use, there is certainly incentive to try.

While we're discussing playing around with new-to-us paints ...yet again..., I'd like to know if anyone has tried Createx Colors for models or scenery. This line is marketed to general airbrush artists, and has a wider color range than the military-oriented model lines. My primary online airbrush supplier prices Createx at about 1/8 the cost per ounce of AV, and, like Mission, if it was close in ease of use and finished result, might be worth considering. If we're having to match RR colors on our own, I'd much rather start with a line having a more generalized palette than trying to force-fit a limited selection of subdued hues.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:00:01 PM »
I have used Createx but not for MRR.  I use it for radio control airplanes, on foam nevertheless.  I love the paint.  Very high pigment, airbrushes easily, of course it's easy to clean up being water based, and dries pretty quick.  When I'm lazy to break out the airbrush, I just use a brush.  Goes on smoothly and not prone to brush marks.

Although I've never tried it for MRR, I can't see why it wouldn't work.  The colors are very stead fast as my planes sit out in the sun all day at the field/flight line with no color fading even after multiple years of sun exposure (not that we put our stuff in the sun a whole lot).