Author Topic: On30 ET&WNC R.R.  (Read 17002 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1454
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: On30 ET&WNC R.R.
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2017, 06:34:28 AM »
+1
No, I don't see the advantage of dead-rail at this point.  It's bad enough that I'm always running low on battery power on my cell phone or tablet.  I prefer not to have to deal with recharging locomotive batteries, or worse, replacing expensive batteries.  Oh, and I just bought an NCE DCC system a few weeks ago.

DFF

Sorry I forgot about that purchase.

There was much discussion on Yahoo recently about using the rails to charge the battery when at rest on the layout, so no battery removal, plugging or unplugging, etc.  Not sure if the charging system works like a cell phone charger and can charge the battery white the loco is in use.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +2748
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2017, 08:11:35 AM »
There was much discussion on Yahoo recently about using the rails to charge the battery when at rest on the layout, so no battery removal, plugging or unplugging, etc.  Not sure if the charging system works like a cell phone charger and can charge the battery white the loco is in use.

Well, I have to admit that is interesting and could change my view of dead-rail.  I'd be curious to read more about that.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1454
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2017, 08:33:20 AM »
Well, I have to admit that is interesting and could change my view of dead-rail.  I'd be curious to read more about that.

DFF

QFT.  One fella was claiming 20-30 minutes run time on a loco with the electronics he used and another 4-6 on his garden loco.  I have been quietly following the dead rail group for a while now, picking up bits and pieces.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DeadRailSociety/conversations/topics/3109;_ylc=X3oDMTM1ZTZpazg4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzg2NDkzNzk0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzU3NgRtc2dJZAMzMTQ1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQ5MjczOTMwMwR0cGNJZAMzMTA5

It's unfortunate that this topic is not a common one here, but we are mostly N Scalers here and until someone offers a long-lasting micro battery and receiver small enough, (and some have done it there) I don't suspect it would have much traction on TRW.

p51

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • Stoney Creek Branch of the ET&WNC, in On30
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2020, 10:42:16 PM »
It's been a long time, did anything happen with this concept?