Author Topic: Why Offset Bolsters in Many MT Trucks?  (Read 959 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Why Offset Bolsters in Many MT Trucks?
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »
This is one of those things where I may have known the answer at one time but forgot. That said, at the moment I can't come up with a reason for the bolster holes not being centered.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:51:25 AM by GaryHinshaw »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Why Offset Bolsters in Many MT Trucks?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »
I had always assumed it was to make room for the truck-mount coupler box.

Ed

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:37:11 AM »
Ed:  That's the only reason I've heard.  Since other manufacturers were already using centered bolster holes, there wasn't any truck-related operational reason.

My guess is that Kadee wanted to use their existing 1025 (MT-5) couplers for truck mounting, and had to decide whether to extend the coupling distance, or offset the trucks.  In the early 1970s, they probably felt that more people would like the closer coupling than properly aligned bolsters, especially since the body-mounted couplers coupled a lot closer than Rapidos.

They wouldn't have had to make the choice if they'd used 1015 couplers on the trucks, but those hadn't been introduced yet...
N Kalanaga
Be well

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »
+1
The offset is to give the couplers a bit more swing, much the same way we do it in a more extreme manner with the Heavyweights.  It helps keep the ends of the cars as close to the center of an arc during transitioning trough a curve.  For body mount applications, say the car you are converting has the bolster that might be too far forward, you can turn the truck around and have the visual center of the truck further back...minor application I know but it was in some of the notes I saw in the archives many years ago.

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »
+1
Good info! Makes sense. Thanks! :D