Author Topic: Ideas for blending a model railroad with a finished entertaining space?  (Read 4669 times)

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
Re: Ideas for blending a model railroad with a finished entertaining space?
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2017, 11:41:49 PM »
  Oh, and to be called a true bedroom it needs to have a closet.

Correct, I remember having to build 2 in my mother's house so they could be counted as bedrooms and depending on the local codes, a secondary means of egress.

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

SPsteam

• Respect: +1
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »
For a finished look,'I really like the light box idea. The distance between the valance and the layout should be a bit larger and the top blended with the ceiling so no light leaks out. 

Another idea to finish out the layout would be to use wainscoting below the layout edge to create a finished look and continue the trim around the entire basement wall.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2017, 06:42:00 AM »
Not to be mean, but shouldn't a discussion about an HO layout be in the HO Scale thread?

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »
+1
I used a white fascia on my most recent layout, which was also in a finished, carpeted room. It was white Masonite from the big box store. I liked the white as it helped keep the room bright, but the joints are much more obvious. (Never got around to spackling and painting, as is evident in the photos.) The dark green skirting was needed to hide the stored stuff.

For the next layout in our new (to us) home, I may try EL grey with maroon lettering / graphics and will also strongly consider a lighting valence. The Ikea book lamps just didn't cut it.

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

alhoop

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2017, 11:27:50 PM »
Dave
Take a look at Model Railroader project railroad "Olympia". Might give you some ideas.
Al.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:25 AM »
Dave, I like the idea to use matching cabinets under the benchwork on the open end of the layout space as actual support.  You don't need full 24" deep cabinets, you could use less expensive upper 12" cabinets and mount them on the floor with a 2x4 kick base under them to make them look like full depth cabinets.  These would also be deep enough for most books.

The cabinet company will have kick plate fascia material that matches the cabinets to cover the 2x4's at the floor.

Above that I really like the rivet look for the fascia.  Very cool and could be crafted inexpensively.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:53:29 AM by Lemosteam »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »
As promised, the completed bar space.  I wonder if I could use that vinyl flooring on fascia...  hmmm...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
If ya got it left over use it!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »
Above that I really like the rivet look for the fascia.  Very cool and could be crafted inexpensively.

Indeed it is fairly straight forward to do, just a bit time consuming. Tim describes how he did it on his Bronx Terminal blog:

http://www.bronx-terminal.com/index.php?s=rivets

I like the idea of the fascia reflecting and reinforcing the feel of the railroad: rusty rivets for an industrial or urban railroad, distressed clapboard for a rural cash-strapped line, etc.
Because why not...

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
+2
I'll restate the case for wood trim, stained to match the cabinetry, then paint the fascia a color that's compatible with the granite... maybe one of the mid-tone flecks, medium to dark gray.

Don't use vinyl flooring for the fascia.  I don't recommend using it for flooring!!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2017, 03:11:53 PM »
I'll restate the case for wood trim, stained to match the cabinetry, then paint the fascia a color that's compatible with the granite... maybe one of the mid-tone flecks, medium to dark gray.

Don't use vinyl flooring for the fascia.  I don't recommend using it for flooring!!

Lee

I'm no fan of vinyl either under most circumstances.  However, the amount of vertical deflection in a Front Range foundation is significantly higher than in many parts of the country to the extent that builders recommend against tile on the basement floor.  This is also why all my partition walls in the basement are floating walls.  Tiles very often pop and and crack in the first full year of seasons.  This is why I went with tiny mosaic tile when I tiled the bathroom at the old house...and went with floating laminate on the rest of the basement floor.  So, in our bar and bathroom at the new house, it's vinyl.  But, vinyl has come a long way...these new products are much more durable and resemble the material they're patterned after much more than even a decade ago.

You'll just have to see it in person while sampling some fine Colorado beers and bourbons!   :D

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
Hey Dave the basement looks great, all the quirks particular to your climate/area are interesting as well. I like the look of the vinyl, very rustic and I think some sort of similar look would be great as a unique fascia. My fascia/valence being black works for me against my rooms dark red walls. I like the idea of a themed fascia as I came across that gentleman on MRH's forum with the rust/rivet fascia.
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s