Author Topic: The Canyon Module  (Read 1877 times)

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
The Canyon Module
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:33:24 AM »
+1
@Philip H suggested that I start a thread on the build of my module. It's 12 feet long broken into three 4 foot sections. Each section is 30 inches deep and the entire length features a double track main with 3 sets of bridges and one tunnel. It is very loosely based off of the UP main line running along the Weber river east of Morgan, Utah by a town called Taggart.  Here's a map of the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m12!1m3!1d7854.168700540431!2d-111.59336659174163!3d41.05520164420884!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!5e1!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1500188780050

I started this a couple years ago, but I haven't spent to much time on it except before shows in the winter. I really don't have a place to keep it so it moves from place to place which makes it difficult to work on it regularly. My wife and I will be building a new home in the next few months and that will allow me somewhere to keep it and allow for a new thread on the small layout I'll have in the basement.

So here are a few photo's over the last while showing the slow progress.

This is one of the frames I built. All three are the same in dimension.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This is when I started the landforms

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The module is quite a bit further along than in the pictures but I don't have any photo's on the pc yet. I did some rock work today and I've made a bunch of pine trees over the last few evenings, just not enough though. I think my next step is adding sifted dirt onto the hills and around the rock. after that it's time for ground foam.

Thanks for looking,

Jbub (Jason)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:36:52 AM by Jbub »
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: The Canyon Module
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »
Jason,
Nice work. You and @arbomambo share a love of similar scenery.

As to photos - I keep the Railwire page as an open tab in my web. Dissed on my iPhone. If you do that you can take phone pics and upload them directly.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:06:08 AM »
+1
I found some more photo of the previous progress.

This picture was from January 2016. It's just a plywood forest but it was the first show it was in. That's me in the picture :D

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This picture was last November at the local NMRA show. I seriously had just finished putting the last plastered dryer sheet (I like them better than paper towels) maybe two nights previous. Like I said, I don't get to work on this thing very often. A lot of people really thought it was a winter scene.

And this was the last show it was in back in January 2017. Really the only difference was adding a wash to the plaster and painting the skyboard and fascia.

I'm going to do some more work and add some more pictures later this week.

Thanks for looking

Jbub!

Darth Vader

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
Reminds me of some of the Sun N Sand club modules in Phoenix.  Nice work!
~ Matt

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
With a train show coming up in 2 weeks it's time to get done stuff done on this.
This is what it looked like this morning.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
And after about 1.5 hrs of work this is where it's at.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I used cheap acrylic (buff and black) to wash all the plaster. I think the next step is applying some real dirt
Thanks four looking
Jbub

Darth Vader

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
With it being a state holiday yesterday, and me being on call for work I decided to concentrate my efforts on one section of the module.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And I had a special helper watching me do this. He was maybe 20 feet from me for a good hour maybe hour and a half.

Thanks for looking

Jason

Darth Vader

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »
Looks good, and I heartily approve of the trains displayed on it! 😁

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 01:25:29 AM »
+1
So the Evanston Roundhouse Festival was a success. I wish I could have been there for more than an hour out of the 3 days it was running.
Here are a few pictures of how the module is looking, I was hoping to have all three sections with some greenery on it but I ran out of time.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And here are some of the entire layout we had running.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And this a video that a fellow club member made.

/>
Thanks for looking

Jason

Darth Vader