Author Topic: Solar animation on the cheap  (Read 1825 times)

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
Re: Solar animation on the cheap
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
0.7V out of the solar panel means it is a single cell.  Or is the 0.7V measured at the coil leads?

At the coil.  As fragile as those little wires are and with the coil glued to the base I didn't take it apart beyond popping the bottom off.  (I'll save my moments in the doghouse for bigger things than wrecking this thing.)  I could see the coil leads, checked at those points where they attached to the board, and no more.  I did pass a magnet near the coil with the voltmeter hooked up and it made no apparent change to the voltage cycling on and off.  Oh, and the coil is slightly offset from the pendulum magnet.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:59:47 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
Re: Solar animation on the cheap
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 07:52:31 PM »
Being semi-conductors, solar cells don't hold a stable voltage.  There's an I-V curve. So unless you're measuring the voltage with an open circuit it can be misleading what you've got.   0.7 would be pretty high end Voc for a single conventional silicon cell under sunlight, but maybe if you're getting more watts per area on it with a close up light, you'll get that.   It could also be a thin-film cell under a high load.  I think it's doubtful that it's more than one cell given the size.