Author Topic: Hooking up programing track to Digitrax Zephyr  (Read 5936 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Re: Hooking up programing track to Digitrax Zephyr
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2017, 03:33:10 PM »
I don't think a Zephyr can put out 22 volts so something whacky is going on!

This is from Digitrax's website on the Zephyr Xtra:

3.0 Amps of Power to run multiple trains.
•Booster outputs 13V DC for safe operation in N and HO scales.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »
+1
Using DCC is no more difficult than using a cell phone.  However there are some folks that do need to call the help desk.

I have been using a Digitrax since Jan 1996, and it was as simple as removing one DC throttle/power source and connecting the DCC system in its place, then throwing the toggles on the control panel to the DCC setting. 

Problems do still come up from time to time, but 99% seem to be resolved by following logical steps to isolate the problem.
People here have been trying to help, but you may want to call the manafacturer for more specific help.

Greg Elmassian

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2017, 09:13:35 PM »
If this is a normal Zephyr, the power supply that comes with it is 15v AC... so the track output CANNOT be higher.

You can also put in up to 18v DC, but again according to the manual that the output is regulated to approximately 12.8v.

So, again, the way the track voltage was measured is bogus, at least from what the manual says, that basically no matter what the input the output is max 12.8 DCC.

Greg

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2017, 02:41:00 AM »
All the information about the track voltage I have now:
First, I have one of the old-time multimeters a Radio Shack job from the 70s-80s, with a swinging needle. Maybe that’s not the right kind of meter to use. I have a digital one somewhere if I can dig it up if you think that’s the problem. :oops:

OK, method one, using the AC voltage setting: + to a rail, – to the GROUND post = 22v.  :(

Method two, using the DC setting: + to one rail, – to GROUND = 10v; +to other rail, –to GROUND = 10v.   :oops: I think  I’m supposed to average them out? You tell me.  :?
Anything else needed to know about getting a voltage reading?

If there is any other method using a meter to check DCC voltage please let me know. As for the snotty remarks its very frustrating to follow whatever advice I'm given and still nothing happens.  Especially when you guys make it sound so easy. So sorry for that.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:44:11 AM by OldEastRR »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2017, 03:32:58 AM »
First, I have one of the old-time multimeters a Radio Shack job from the 70s-80s, with a swinging needle. Maybe that’s not the right kind of meter to use. I have a digital one somewhere if I can dig it up if you think that’s the problem. :oops:

OK, method one, using the AC voltage setting: + to a rail, – to the GROUND post = 22v.  :(

Measuring voltage across the rails in AC mode should give a good approximate voltage reading.

What AC voltage range you have selected on your analog meter?  Are you reading the correct scale (multimeters have several scales).  You should be reading the scale corresponding to the range you selected.  If there are multiple jacks, are your leads are plugged into COMMON and V AC?

I recommend finding the digital multimeter - it is much less hassle to deal with, and I know that you hate hassle.  :D

The other question is if you look at the power supply for your Zephyr, are there and specs on it (like its output voltage)?
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2017, 07:42:14 AM »
Are you reading the correct scale (multimeters have several scales).

I recommend finding the digital multimeter - it is much less hassle to deal with, and I know that you hate hassle.  :D

This!  OldEastRR, no offense but I think you may be reading the wrong scale on the meter.  The analog ones with the swinging needle has many scales on the meter's face.  Can you find your digital meter and do the same measurements?  Or if you can't, can you take a picture of the (analog) meter reading with alligator clips attached to one rail and ground (so you can operate your camera).

It's impossible for a Zephyr to put out more than 13 volts (according to Digitrax's website).  If it is, and anything is possible, it may be defective.

I think you have piqued many's interest on how a Zephyr can put out 22 volts.

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2017, 07:52:57 AM »

Method two, using the DC setting: + to one rail, – to GROUND = 10v; +to other rail, –to GROUND = 10v.   :oops: I think  I’m supposed to average them out? You tell me.  :?
Anything else needed to know about getting a voltage reading?

If there is any other method using a meter to check DCC voltage please let me know. As for the snotty remarks its very frustrating to follow whatever advice I'm given and still nothing happens.  Especially when you guys make it sound so easy. So sorry for that.
My Digitrax system reads about 19.47 AC across the rails, using one of my cheap DMM, but that isn't the way you check the system voltage. Digitrax has a very clear description on how to step by step measure the voltage correctly on there web site.

http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB909/track-voltage-measurement-on-dcc-layouts-with-dire/

Greg Elmassian

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »
Unless they are true rms reading (no cheap meter is), you cannot depend on the AC reading to be close, different meters do different things. I've got a true rms HP meter, a DCC Specialties RRampeter and a Tektronix o'scope... I know what I am talking about, my Harbor Freight meter sometimes comes close and sometimes way off (consider that the DCC signal is being modulated and your cheapo meter is reading only (usually) one half of the signal..

Like I said earlier, a $1.50 full wave bridge rectifier connected to the rails and a dc meter on the output gives you a true reading (and a small filter cap would be wise, depending on the quality of the DCC signal). Why is this like pulling teeth? OldEast, send your mailing address to greg@elmassian.com and I will send you this for free (with the filter cap).

OldEast, what power supplies are you running on your Zephyr?  Man this could be so much easier if there was less complaining and more information!

Greg

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2017, 06:21:01 PM »
OK ... after rethinking and re-doing everything I determined the actual DCC voltage is 12. Yes, I was reading the wrong scale for the range the meter was set to.  :facepalm:  Still no response from the pgm track, even with a 1K ohm resistor across the rails.

Greg Elmassian

• Crew
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »
Now that that is back to normal...  :D

What decoders are you trying? More than one? What brand in what loco?

If you are not trying a different loco/decoder then it's impossible to tell which is broken.

Greg

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2017, 08:12:57 AM »
Only the hardwired decoders have gone south. One of which was in the loco I bought, so it can't be ALL my fault. All the other locos work fine. I did manage to get all their addresses set differently so I can run multiple trains. I give up on this pgm track to ever work.
So ends this sad tale. New ones will appear in new threads.