Author Topic: Recommendations of decoders for KATO GG-1  (Read 852 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
Recommendations of decoders for KATO GG-1
« on: March 25, 2017, 05:06:11 AM »
Sound or no sound, tho sound preferred. My MRC one keeps blowing up so I'd like another brand, something good reliable and long-lasting.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Re: Recommendations of decoders for KATO GG-1
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
I have the Digitrax one with no sound.  Easy install and have been in the loco for a few years with no issues at all.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 11:55:18 AM »
Sound or no sound, tho sound preferred. My MRC one keeps blowing up so I'd like another brand, something good reliable and long-lasting.

By "blowing up," do you mean let out the magic smoke?  If so, there could be another issue that would also take out a decoder of another brand.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:59:45 PM »
Considering the MRC decoder was a drop-in, and I kaptonned the ***** out of every place the board could have touched the frame, and the decoder blew up when the loco took off uncontrolled at high speed -- I can't blame it on my usual mistake of hard-wiring or CV modifying the decoder.
So -- there's only one decoder that drops in to a GG-1? (other than MRC) Since I have no idea what all the names of all the decoder companies are I'm limited in finding a comprehensive listing.
Say ... IS there a database that lists ALL decoders, mfgrs, type installation, and what locos they are suited for? Something like Spookshow's excellent reference for all N rolling stock.
And if not ... why not?

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 12:36:46 AM »
The TCS K1D4-NC is a drop in for the GG1. TCS (tcsdcc.com) and Digitrax (Digitrax.com) both have excellent listings of their drop in products.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 05:08:37 AM »
The Digitrax GG1 sound decoder says "frame modification". Has anybody done that?