Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/26/17  (Read 10729 times)

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
Re: Weekend Update 3/26/17
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2017, 08:56:37 PM »
+1
The only thing photography worthy for me this week was this quickie photography test.

[/url]

Aaron Bearden

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »
+1
I've always liked the looks of WC locomotives so I decided to start work on the cab and other parts in CAD.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 12:57:09 AM »
Coldriver:  Looks like the Inland Northwest I know and love.  Not so much eastern Washington, where I grew up, but perfect for north central and northeast Oregon, where we vacationed regularly.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 07:34:14 AM »
I've always liked the looks of WC locomotives so I decided to start work on the cab and other parts in CAD.

Nice, Looks like a former Algoma Central unit...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
Nice, Looks like a former Algoma Central unit...

Good eye.
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »
+6
I have been working on a Resin kit from @Rasputen of a Kenworth conventional tractor.  The kit includes the chassis, fuel tanks, wheels, cab and brass wire and tube for exhaust.
I used a Trainworx horn, scratchbuilt an air cleaner, turn signals on the fenders, added etched stainless mirrors and used a spare Trainworx exhaust stack. 
The kit, like most of Brian's has minimal flash and the fit is good.

Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
That would be like a bomb waiting to go off.  Remember Apollo 13?
Which you want in rocket fuel.  Space X uses  Kerosene-based, using RP-1 as the fuel with liquid oxygen (LOX) as the oxidizer, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_rocket_engines  If you want to light off anything in space you have to bring oxgen

Spacecraft also use onboard hydrogen and oxygen to supply fuel cells to produce electricity and water.

Ed

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »
Repacked a couple more pumps on the steamship.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Tools used for repacking.  The hammer and punch are for pounding the packing into the stuffing box.  The packing hook is for pulling it out again when you realize you've cut it too long and it won't fit (also, for pulling the old packing out).  The spanner is for working the gland.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »
Repacked a couple more pumps on the steamship.

(Attachment Link)

Tools used for repacking.  The hammer and punch are for pounding the packing into the stuffing box.  The packing hook is for pulling it out again when you realize you've cut it too long and it won't fit (also, for pulling the old packing out).  The spanner is for working the gland.

I use a different tool for gland work.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 05:35:50 PM »
+2
I worked on making trees for the O Scale Western Maryland Dutch Line on Saturday.

2017-03-25_18.18.05[1] by Adam Henry, on Flickr

Then I went in and helped clean up the layout after numerous work sessions left trains out of place and tools/supplies everywhere.  Ken is showing the layout off to a group he belongs to next week so we had to get trains staged and more importantly, make sure the layout still ran after doing some rewiring and new trackwork. 

Later, I was able to do some railfanning.

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +665
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 06:37:29 PM »
+6
 I have been making steady progress on the Pro Patria Mill kit.  LEDs are in, and some of the roofs are now attached.
While several are just set in place for this photo opp. (BTW - sorry about the poor phone pics). 
Also, I applied a first pass on rusting up the aluminum siding, but it needs to be toned down and blended quite a bit still.
Here is where I'm at now:

And here it is lit up (light leaks are on set in place roofs)

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »
+7
I took a quick trip the the UK for a long weekend and spent most of it with Copenhagen Fields at the London Festival of Railway Modelling. The operators probably have the best view of the layout along it's length, so I have a picture from each end.

The brakevan I built recently had a bit of a problem with one of the wheels not turning freely, but once that was sorted it behaved itself for the rest of the show, although it does need a bit of toning down. The as-new white roof it far too bright...

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2017, 07:21:38 PM »
+1
Starting to hang the larger backdrops I had printed by TrainJunkies.com.  I'm not sure how long before the layout will be dismantled - it could be one year or it could be 20 years - so I didn't want to permanently mount the backdrop photos on the Masonite with glue in the hopes that it could be used again on another future layout (75' worth of backdrops was a bit pricey!).  I fortunately left small gaps between the Masonite and the plywood layout surface so the bottom of the backdrop could be tucked in.  At the top I'm just using a small piece of double sided tape every foot or so.  The longest scene is 25 feet - a bitch to handle by myself, but I wrassled it into submission somehow. 

In this scene the Oregon & Northeastern Logger has just cleared the Automatic Interlocking with the Oregon Joint Line at O&NE Xing. 

IMG_5758 by Dean Ferris, on Flickr

N scale gets no better. I'm not even worthy to up vote this.
Peter Pfotenhauer

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
I took a quick trip the the UK for a long weekend and spent most of it with Copenhagen Fields at the London Festival of Railway Modelling.

Interesting. Maybe everyone else know the background to all this, but I do not and would like to know more if you do not mind. What is Copenhagen Fields and how come you got involved etc?
Lennart

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2017, 09:41:13 PM »
Added some details to the PRR 0-6-0.

The headlight is from Keystone Details.  The other parts came from the junk box.  I gave some serious thought to upgrading the valving, but the parts I found required a large amount of work for a relatively small improvement in appearance.  I did make a small spacer that snapped onto the cross-slide to connecting rod pivot.  It keeps the cross-slide more or less centered on its rails.

I will have to do something about the front side of the pressure cylinders.  Not sure what, though.  Something to make them look less toy-like.

That is flippin' awesome! It's gonna look great when it's finished!

Chris

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.