Author Topic: The Very Last White River and Northern Railroad  (Read 50105 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +4602
    • David's Modeling Journey
Re: The Very Last White River and Northern Railroad
« Reply #900 on: Yesterday at 05:05:26 PM »
Fired up the Teeny Train this afternoon. I was on the verge of returning it as defective--it seemed DOA--when all of a sudden it started working. It evidently takes several seconds to initialize (or there's some inexplicable initial delay built-in) before it starts to run.  :?  And it's a bit more jittery than expected, but not objectionably so.
“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse

martink

• Respect: +15
Re: The Very Last White River and Northern Railroad
« Reply #901 on: Yesterday at 06:20:20 PM »
... It evidently takes several seconds to initialize (or there's some inexplicable initial delay built-in) before it starts to run.  :?  And it's a bit more jittery than expected, but not objectionably so.
I believe they did that to make it easier to set up their trains, so that you can line up the carriages before it all starts moving.  In practice that is easy enough to do on the fly, but like many "features" in software everywhere, I suppose it seemed like a good idea at the time.  The jitter comes from the coarse 1mm step size, and was one of the first things I had to rework on my version: 0.25mm gives much smoother motion.