Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/19/17  (Read 7411 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
Re: Weekend Update 3/19/17
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2017, 12:58:37 AM »
Ryan:  CP in 1951 beat the NP, and they had theirs built by a commercial builder.  I guess slugs, by whatever name, go back further than I thought.  And the certainly weren't all repurposed diesels.  Thank you!

Jerry:  As far as I know, the NP never made any fuss about their "engine trailers", just built them and stuck them in Pasco.  I'm a little surprised that Trains would find them, unless they did an article on the Pasco yard.  That was before I started buying magazines regularly, so I missed it...
N Kalanaga
Be well

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
+1
robert3985: Awesome UP shot! (even if it is UP and not SP...wait, they're both the same road again now)
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »
Got my GNR brakevan finished just in time. Not really happy with the lettering, but it will do for now. Great Northern on one side, London North Eastern on the other.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2017, 02:42:36 PM »
Got my GNR brakevan finished just in time. Not really happy with the lettering, but it will do for now. Great Northern on one side, London North Eastern on the other.

Looks nice.  BTW, are those prototypical couplers?   :trollface:
(That was a rhetorical question.)
 :D

But I also find it funny how it is acceptable to have toy-train-type couplers on such fine model like yours, while in American N scale we gripe even about the regular MTL knuckle couplers being out of scale and unrealistic.  Please don't take this as me bashing your fine work - I'm just thinking out loud about the various acceptable standards modelers impose on themselves.
. . . 42 . . .

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »
+1
robert3985: Awesome UP shot! (even if it is UP and not SP...wait, they're both the same road again now)

Thanks! In that photo, it's the Park City Branch daily local, retrieving a decrepit PFE reefer that's been on an abandoned siding in Coalville for a decade.

SP runs in UP territory on my portable layout periodically because my youngest son is a big SP fan and is the SP Ogden Yard Foreman in my version of 1953 Ogden.

Photo (1) - SP mail train at Echo Curve just because.... :

Echo Curve and the Echo & Park City Yards are in the process of finally being completely ballasted and scenicked on my portable layout.  Progress shots to follow later this week.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »
Looks nice.  BTW, are those prototypical couplers?   :trollface:
(That was a rhetorical question.)
 :D

But I also find it funny how it is acceptable to have toy-train-type couplers on such fine model like yours, while in American N scale we gripe even about the regular MTL knuckle couplers being out of scale and unrealistic.  Please don't take this as me bashing your fine work - I'm just thinking out loud about the various acceptable standards modelers impose on themselves.
These are DG couplings. They're not prototypical but they work very well and are the defacto standard in 2mm Finescale. They also have a delayed/remote uncoupling ability that is quite nice. The prototype used 3-link couplings. Literally 3 links of chain. Some people, including me, use them in larger scales, but they're too fiddly with models this small.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »
robert3985: Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members