Author Topic: Pan Am Railways IM SD40-2 PULLED!!!  (Read 5285 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: Pan Am Railways IM SD40-2 PULLED!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »
Since it is Intermountain I would not be to concerned. They cancel roadnames and product runs all the time. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 06:06:11 PM »
That is not a good news for railroad modelers.  Especially if the licensing and royalties would extend to the other names, like B&M, MEC, Guilford and whatever else I left out.  We might not see any more models of those produced, or the extra cost might be passed onto the consumers.

While protecting trademarks is understandable (even though they are pretty much dormant and fading away), having those trademarks on models is basically free advertising for them. Why kill that by charging large royalties?  A token licensing fee should be all that is required.

we discussed this to deatch back in the  UP licensing days  :ashat:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 06:47:31 PM »
we discussed this to deatch back in the  UP licensing days  :ashat:

Yup, we seem to have come around to it again - just like the current "China made" thread. Everythgin goes in cycles - even the Earth's climate.  :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 05:49:45 PM »
Just a cynical question. Since the possibility of a license fee has not been verified yet, is it possible that this is an effort to attract interest (and possible sales) to a paint scheme that I have read is not that popular? I am on the West coast so not much interest in Pan Am locos so won't be getting any SD40-2s.

I do have a bit of a soft spot for Pan Am Airways since I remember flying on their planes, so I do have some freight cars and a pair of IM FP9s along with some plane models. I might get more freight cars but not planning on more engines.

Marty Young
San Diego, CA
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »
Just a cynical question. Since the possibility of a license fee has not been verified yet, is it possible that this is an effort to attract interest (and possible sales) to a paint scheme that I have read is not that popular? I am on the West coast so not much interest in Pan Am locos so won't be getting any SD40-2s.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

I think this may be the correct answer, since IM has already produced Pan Am SD40-2s it is likely the demand isn't there to justify more.
FWIW there is still Pan am SD45-2s and B&M FT units / boxcars listed with release dates... 
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »
+1
I am with some of the others in that this is unconfirmed information. Someone "heard" from someone what IM has been told. Facts here are vaporware.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »
+1
OK I emailed Intermountain directly and received this response from them. Apparently not just rumor.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Is true, PAR changed their licensing program.

> Was wondering what happened to the second release of the Pan Am Railways SD40-2 locomotives? I heard a "rumor" that there is some Licensing issues possibly, is this true?
>
> Thanks, Sincerely
> Jon M. Landry

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »
 :facepalm: wish we could drag their top brass to the deadline :RUEffinKiddingMe:
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
Bad news indeed..Now y'all know the reason for my Springfield Terminal tagline!(Tim Mellon owns PAR)

I hope this is to protect the Pan Am trademark, and won't affect the older roads, but I doubt they'll stop there..Anything for a buck

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 07:02:55 PM »
I sincerely hope this does not affect historic Boston and Maine and Maine Central rolling stock. I have a lot of Athearn boxcars on order for this year in Maine Central.

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 04:43:29 AM »
I just read a news story that makes me wonder about their motivation for doing this. The story was about PAR suing a small newsletter/blog because they reported things the railroad did not like. The author was quoting what other folks were saying. The judge threw the suit out before it went to trial saying that the author was not saying the items but was merely reporting them. I can't remember if the quotes were anonymous or not.

The news article went on to say that PAR had done this before a few years ago. Supposedly a small newsletter and a major newspaper reported the same story. PAR sued the newsletter author and not the large newspaper. They lost then too.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 12:01:23 PM »
PanAm Brands owns all the logos and licensing for the railroad and airline. It's one of the paper companies in the tax cluster that makes up the whole thing.

The lawsuit was against Atlantic Rails & Ports newsletter for libel. Case was lost.  Melon/Fink Sr. had a long history of bad blood with the newsletter.

I left PAR last fall. Smart decision on my part. Really liked working there and the friends I made but the writing is on the wall. Lots of jobs being eliminated and layoffs are coming this month.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
+6
So far the roads wanting licencing agreements are more than willing to work with us...and generally are looking for a legal agreement not to deface or harm their property.  Most require no money and those that do, a minor fee with no minimums required.  Some request a percentage of sales others a set fee each year.  I would think working with GM or Ford or a group like that could get expensive but so far the railroads have been pretty cooperative.

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!