Author Topic: Radio Shack....going once, going twice....  (Read 1975 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +745
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Radio Shack....going once, going twice....
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »
One of my bigger questions about Radio Shack's existence (until now) is, if they're positioned as a phone store, has anyone bought a phone from them, or known someone who as?

Whenever it's new phone time in the Kapuscinski household, we always go directly to the carrier's stores.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »
Just read the article on the store closings.  Supposedly there are 3 still here in Columbus according to google and they didn't make the list to be closed.  We did loose one store in the first round of closings but that location was hard to get to in the first place.   I've got to head to campus today for an errand I'll detour by the one in Upper Arlington to see it is still gonna be around or close.  It's next to a good coffee shop so that's more of my motivation anyway.  I'm lucky enough to live 1/2 a mile from a Microcenter and they have all kinds of things in there I would have went to Radio Shack for.  Not that I'm a big electronics guy.  There is also a small electronics store close to where our model railroad club is as well should I need something that I don't know what it does but the instructions call for it.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +199
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »
We had three here locally, all three survived the first purge two years ago, much to my surprise.  At that time, I stocked up on a lot of things down to more wire rolls, solder, some project boxes, power supplies, etc.   Then they didn't close and I had bags of stuff!

Then, even more to my surprise, the new manager (and she knew how to solder and make stuff, too!) made sure the parts area of the store was completely restocked and sorted again.  Wow, I'm feeling pretty good here.  It's been years since you could count on finding all the parts there.

I didn't know about this one until they put up a billboard-sized 'store closing' sign on the front.  I'll make at least one more trip.   I probably have a lifetime supply of some things, sort of like my Floquil paint collection.

The situation with the local store was pretty funny.   They were side-by-side with a Verizon store in a strip mall, and both were selling Verizon phones.  I never could get that, until I tried to upgrade my phone and found out that Verizon could be even more impossible to work with than ever and they could be tied up for HOURS with a phone deal and one person in store, when all you wanted to buy was a case protector.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:40:49 AM by randgust »

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 10:52:57 AM »
+1
Yeah, this is pretty pathetic!  I had been eyeing the Radio Shack $80 Soldering Station for some time.  Their retail price was already more attractive than a $130 Weller equivalent, but of course you get what you pay for.  In any case, I figured if I found the RS station under clearance, that would actually be a great deal!

One day, in need of a component, I stopped in and noticed the station finally had a clearance tag!  60% off!  But wait... retail price was now showing as $199?!  Da-eff??!! :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Moral: Always do your research before purchase.

Get a Hakko for just under $100 and much much better quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-FX-888D/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1489762114&sr=8-9&keywords=hakko+fx-8801

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +241
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
One of my bigger questions about Radio Shack's existence (until now) is, if they're positioned as a phone store, has anyone bought a phone from them, or known someone who as?

Whenever it's new phone time in the Kapuscinski household, we always go directly to the carrier's stores.

I used to buy land line Trimline type phones from them , but that's it .

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
We had three here locally, all three survived the first purge two years ago, much to my surprise.  At that time, I stocked up on a lot of things down to more wire rolls, solder, some project boxes, power supplies, etc.   Then they didn't close and I had bags of stuff!

Then, even more to my surprise, the new manager (and she knew how to solder and make stuff, too!) made sure the parts area of the store was completely restocked and sorted again.  Wow, I'm feeling pretty good here.  It's been years since you could count on finding all the parts there.

I didn't know about this one until they put up a billboard-sized 'store closing' sign on the front.  I'll make at least one more trip.   I probably have a lifetime supply of some things, sort of like my Floquil paint collection.

The situation with the local store was pretty funny.   They were side-by-side with a Verizon store in a strip mall, and both were selling Verizon phones.  I never could get that, until I tried to upgrade my phone and found out that Verizon could be even more impossible to work with than ever and they could be tied up for HOURS with a phone deal and one person in store, when all you wanted to buy was a case protector.

Yeah, we managed to keep ours in Olean... but for how long?  Who knows.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +348
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Radio Shack....going once, going twice.... W-a-a-a !
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »

In closing, anyone besides myself remember "Heath Kit" in Benton Harbor , MI . I built a nifty AM FM portable radio from them which I still have. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.  :|

Sure do!  I built about a half dozen Heathkits.  Loved them.  One of them was their model railroad throttle (which internally was, I think, a Lynn Westcott TAT IV or V.  Somebody on here, I bet, will know for sure which one it was).
It was a good device, but it was large and bulky and I sold it years ago.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +606
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Radio Shack....going once, going twice.... W-a-a-a !
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »
Sure do!  I built about a half dozen Heathkits.  Loved them.  One of them was their model railroad throttle (which internally was, I think, a Lynn Westcott TAT IV or V.  Somebody on here, I bet, will know for sure which one it was).
It was a good device, but it was large and bulky and I sold it years ago.

But Heahtkit was not Radio Sack.
Radio Shack sold their own electronic projects. I've build several of them and still have few around.  Once like LED-bar-graph VU meter, Digital Frequency Counter, TTL Signal Generator, and several others. As the matter of fact, my TRW "Snott Trigger" banner image which shows up in the rotation is a photo of a part of that frequency counter's schematic diagram.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
It's strange, with the rise of Arduino, Raspberry Pi< Galileo and other hobbyist computer equipment, you would think there would be a bigger demand for a Radio Shack. Maybe not a physical store, but a site for everything from boards to cases to components.

That would be what the original Radio Shack was all about.
Blood like rain fallin' down
 Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire, part warrior,
 Carnivore and voyeur
 Stare at the transmittal.
 Sing to the death rattle.

The universe is hostile
 So impersonal
 Devour to survive
 So it is, so it's always been ...

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »
+1
Just cleaned them out. Thanks Dave!

Try Radio Shack #275-0409 (pkg. of 2) SPDT submini slide switches.

DFF

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +348
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »
Well, happily, my local one is staying open.  I'll still buy batteries there.

If they would just throw me a bone and get reasonable on the price, I'd buy parts there to support them. 

But 1N4001 diode for $1 a piece?  I can get them 50 for $3 on eBay and that's without going to a China seller.

C'mon, RS.  Meet me halfway.  How about double the mail order price?   Heck. 

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2017, 10:41:23 PM »
Just cleaned them out. Thanks Dave!

Same here.  All of those things that you could use when working on odd jobs.  Resistors and LEDs  I already had an ample supply but was weak on switches.  So I got  50 assorted pieces/ packages of mostly SPDT, DPDT, toggle and rocker switches, a few with center off.  Momentary contact and push on/ off SPDT switches.  A few relays, several 6 position rotary switches, a few reed switches and SPDT miniature slide switches.  A 100 foot roll of 26 gauge, four conductor, stranded flat wire.  20 pcs. 9V battery plugs.  All was under $40.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
So while not on the list, the Radio Shack closest to me is closing.  Signs plastered all over the front windows announcing the closing and advertising 60% off.  The place looked pretty bare from the parking lot inventory wise.  The area with all the cell phones and other expensive gadgets was void of any inventory for the most part.  Just the area for connectors, switches, cables etc looked to have any stock.  I didn't venture in there wasn't much left by the looks of it. 

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
Just remembered a tip I can share!  If a store near you is closing, make an offer on the parts drawers!  Yes, the drawers themselves!  They're amazing storage drawers for under the layout or the workshop.  If the last day of business is getting very close, go ahead and make the offer for all remaining products included. 

Back when I was living in San Francisco, a store was remodeling and I found myself taking home a few sweet display cabinets, which I used as my layout base for a few years. 

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 02:29:12 PM »
Signs plastered all over the front windows announcing the closing and advertising 60% off. 

There were various discounts on different products at the one near me.  Most if not all of the components, which is what i bought, was 90% off.  Even at their pretty exorbitant normal prices 90% was pretty OK. :)