Author Topic: Radio Shack....going once, going twice....  (Read 1199 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +620
Re: Radio Shack....going once, going twice....
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
+1
What p/n Dave? The local one to me is closing  :(

Try Radio Shack #275-0409 (pkg. of 2) SPDT submini slide switches.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL and Conrail Historical Societies

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 09:36:51 PM »
Possibly changed, but at one time each had a $25 (or so) minimum order. Never thought about it much since like you I always accumulated enough to surpass that.

That was in the past years ago.  Digikey doesn't have any minimums.  And as a side note, their shipping is very reasonable.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 09:38:37 PM »
I think Radio Shack closed some years ago.  There have been some phone and toy stores around using the name, though. ;)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »
Yea, I know, sad. But the Radio Shack I knew and loved has been gone for a long time. Ours is not slated to close (yet) but when I went in recently looking for flux, the sales person (the manager, no less) thought I was from the planet Mars. But she did try real hard to sell me wireless headphones, in pink and blue; a great deal I'm sure :facepalm:
Otto K.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +567
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 12:07:53 AM »
That was in the past years ago.  Digikey doesn't have any minimums.  And as a side note, their shipping is very reasonable.

And they give you choice of several carriers.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
+1
There is a bunch of stores around my way, but seeing this, I'll pass on stopping by to grab "discounted" stuff...

www.businessinsider.com/radioshack-store-closing-discounts-reportedly-come-after-markups-2017-3

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
The last thing I can remember buying from Radio Shack was a remote control car for my son's Christmas present about 30 years ago.

Hmm... they never sold
anything I could eat...

A guy walks into The Apathy Club and says to the receptionist, I'd like to join the Apathy Club. She looks at him and says, you're too interested in joining, you don't qualify. But we don't care, we'll let you in anyway.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Re: Radio Shack....going once, going twice.... W-a-a-a !
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
 :|     I was just in the one that is still in my area two days ago to buy a replacement phone charger with a mini end. The gal (clerk) there was very helpful and pointed out the charger would cost more that some new phones, but I bought it anyway. I was surprised to see they were still selling some RC cars , remember the cool car a few years back they sold based on the one from the movie "Stewart Little", anyway that store is clearly a mostly phone store and I do not know if this one is on the going out of biz list. In closing, anyone besides myself remember "Heath Kit" in Benton Harbor , MI . I built a nifty AM FM portable radio from them which I still have. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.  :|

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
There is a bunch of stores around my way, but seeing this, I'll pass on stopping by to grab "discounted" stuff...
www.businessinsider.com/radioshack-store-closing-discounts-reportedly-come-after-markups-2017-3

Yeah, this is pretty pathetic!  I had been eyeing the Radio Shack $80 Soldering Station for some time.  Their retail price was already more attractive than a $130 Weller equivalent, but of course you get what you pay for.  In any case, I figured if I found the RS station under clearance, that would actually be a great deal!

One day, in need of a component, I stopped in and noticed the station finally had a clearance tag!  60% off!  But wait... retail price was now showing as $199?!  Da-eff??!! :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Moral: Always do your research before purchase.

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 06:50:28 PM »
We still have one franchise RS locally, and the owner says he's not closing, but rather started to supplement his inventory from other sources.

The other - a company store - close in the first round, but they transferred much of the inventory rather than sold at deep discount. 

Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a "R" "I" "O" sign?  I thought some bar or what not would buy it from me on ebay during the Olympics, but no takers.   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:25:37 PM by SandyEggoJake »

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
About the only time I've used Radio Shack of late is just out of convenience, or because a group of MRR's wanted to knock out an unplanned weekend project without waiting for a day or two shipping times.   The RS next to my house in the mid-2000's closed and I got a lot of good items then, mostly wire, solder, etc. and I'm just now getting sort of close to burning through all that.

I'm also fortunate that I live in a large city where there will still always be plenty of options for those kinds of items.

"Identity crisis" was almost a badge of courage for Radio Shack, especially early on.  The stores in the 70's and 80's each had their own niche, their own flair, and varying focus.   As time wore on though, they pushed for more consistency--and maybe that hurt them--and I'm not really sure they ever truly "picked a lane" to be in.   Just weaved their way past the 90's and didn't respond quick enough or thoroughly enough to position themselves amongst Amazon's dictatorship.

I have fond memories of Radio Shack (that CoCo and many of the other Tandy machines were are classics!) growing up and the nostalgic side of me will shed a tear.   And I certainly wish the employees well in finding a new career path.   I sort of think this is the official end though.
Doug A.

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 01:06:53 AM »
Stopped in my local RS, to stock up on AA batts. 36pk for $20, with tax. NO BARGAIN. I can get Ray-o-Vac 30 pks. at ShopRite for between $4-$6, when on sale, and with store card. Just got 3 LR44's for digital calipers.
 There is an independent, Mackey's in Newtown, CT., that's a very good store.
 Joe D

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +342
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 08:35:42 AM »
Amazon, eBay stores of electronics from China, Digi-Key and Mouser more than fill the gap left by Radio Shack's departure, at better quality and lower expense. Which is why Radio Shack is disappearing in the first place. 
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 08:40:42 AM »
I realized RS would not be around for much longer when I left the Navy in 01.  I went into the local store to apply, since I needed SOMETHING to do and the manager told me he couldn't hire me since I knew to much about electronics. :facepalm:  The occasional "crap I need..." has been the only time I've been in one since.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +231
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »
Not around me for a year or so . I think they lost folks interest when they stopped stocking resisters , transformers , caps , and all the PCB components . They then sold them via order and pick up and delivery but that wasn't why I would bother to go there . When I wanted to build a thing I would get 90% from them , project box to all or most of it's guts instantly . It became worse than ordering on line ever was . I also think they missed the boat on Drones , platforms to apply FPV and WIFI security . All of those have grown and continue to grow . They may have been there when RS was there , but they pulled out prematurely IMO . I recently saw the NYFD ( last week ) use a tethered FPV drone to get shots on the roof of a building that their men were on . They loved getting that info to augment the radio communications and being that it was tethered they didn't have to worry about the excessively priced helo running out of power . My guess it stayed vertically in place by 4 or more tilt resister / switches . I guess the ground TX had a pan/tilt on the FPV camera at least . The reason I brought this up is living 1/4 mile from JFK drones are threats . However if one was tethered one could get shots of their homes , rain gutters , family from on high . If that would pass FAA rules and the setup was around 250 bucks or so it would be wanted by some people like me . By being tethered it also takes a lot of the creepy sneaky aspect out of helo's and FPV .