Author Topic: Micro Train FT Woes...  (Read 746 times)

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Re: Micro Train FT Woes...
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
You're right: there's just enough play for the board to slide forward, up and out.  :)

I have the whole thing apart now; the only difference between the front and back is that there seems to be a bit more space between the hex nut and the worm on one end:will play with that a little and see if it helps...

Mark in Oregon

strummer

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 03:54:50 PM »
You're right: there's just enough play for the board to slide forward, up and out.  :)

I have the whole thing apart now; the only difference between the front and back is that there seems to be a bit more space between the hex nut and the worm on one end:will play with that a little and see if it helps...

Mark in Oregon

UPDATE:

That bit of an adjustment seemed to help with the initial "hitch" noise; there does appear to be a bit of a wobble, so I'm guessing that, even though I can't detect it when they are removed and rolled along the track, that issue is truck-related. And that d*mn headlight still won't work! It was fine until I started to mess with things...  :facepalm:  :)

MIO

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +563
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
It does make more sense that the hitch is somewhere in the truck (the double worm gear, idler gears, or the gear on the axles).  Usually it is piece of debris stuck in one of those gears. It can be as small as a single grain of ballast,  If those gears have lots of grease on them, the debris might be difficult too see.

Is the headlight LED wired to the the circuit board or  is an an LED with long leads soldered directly to the board?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

strummer

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 12:37:41 AM »
I cleaned the trucks when I had them out, although anything is possible.

The LED is soldered to the board with long leads reaching out towards the end of the loco...

MIO

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +563
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 02:36:32 AM »
I cleaned the trucks when I had them out, although anything is possible.

The LED is soldered to the board with long leads reaching out towards the end of the loco...

MIO

If you really, really, really cleaned all the gears then maybe one of the gears has a damaged tooth?  Otherwise I don't know what else could be causing cyclical bind in the truck.

As far as the LED goes, if the wires are solidly connected then maybe the LED burned up somehow? Or  maybe there are some damaged traces or components on the board?  That board should be a simple circuit. If the motor works then the LED should also be getting power.
--- Peteski de Snarkski