Author Topic: Still Sorely Lacking in N Scale...  (Read 2320 times)

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
Still Sorely Lacking in N Scale...
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
I think I've mentioned this before, but here goes...

There is a wonderful selection available to the modern N scaler for motive power, both diesel and steam: what with ebay (there, Peteski, I said it! :) ), and the new stuff coming out, it seems (nearly) all the bases are covered.

Now, how about some electric locos? As near as I can tell, the only decent models available are the Bachmann Peter Witt, the GG-1, and, if you can find one, the nearest to a steeple cab is the obviously non-US little Kato model:

[Note: tried to post a photo here, but it didn't work... :( ]

Now, this little guy runs surprisingly well for a 4-wheeled unit, but it would take more skill than I have to turn it into something that looks like it belongs on a railroad in the US.

I think it's time we had a Pacific Electric steeple cab, or Niles car (or almost anything else!) made available to those of us that, for whatever reason, find interurban stuff interesting and worthy of modeling...

Mark in Oregon

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:17:16 PM by strummer »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Still Sorely Lacking in N Scale...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
I dare you to paint up a GG1 for PE. :D

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »
give me one and I will do it

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:18:45 PM »

Nope, not "man enough" for that... :)

Okay, why does my post show the picture now? When I orginally tried to post it, no photo showed on the "preview" link...

Mark in Oregon
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:20:42 PM by strummer »

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »
Rapido's FL9 is electric too, but still not a steeple cab.

Craig

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »
+1
These are cool.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2090
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »
There is a dandy little Baldwin Westinghouse shell available at Shapeways. It's well designed to fit the BanDai 3 powered chassis which runs and pulls well for small loco.
Definately not a shake the box project but worth the effort.
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
There is a dandy little Baldwin Westinghouse shell available at Shapeways. It's well designed to fit the BanDai 3 powered chassis which runs and pulls well for small loco.
Definately not a shake the box project but worth the effort.
I have looked at that a few times (OK, a lot), but I just can't pull the trigger. The real ones were light and small, bit they would pull like a big loco. I am afraid that I will put in a ton of work into it only to pull 3 cars. It really needs to be a white metal casting.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »
Kato also make the modern Siemens ACS-64.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

Snark45

• Crew
  • But Dad, don't we EAT the antelopes?
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 09:26:47 PM »
I wished (and begged) for years that Kato would release Amtrak's AEM7. But I suspect that ship has sailed...

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2090
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 11:44:24 PM »
+3
I have looked at that a few times (OK, a lot), but I just can't pull the trigger. The real ones were light and small, bit they would pull like a big loco. I am afraid that I will put in a ton of work into it only to pull 3 cars. It really needs to be a white metal casting.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I modified the Shapeways shell significantly to match a different prototype but the BanDai mechanism is bone stock. It has a Digitrax DZ126t decoder in it.
Without any additional weight it would pull an 11 car train of 33' hoppers and gondolas.
I added some lead to the underside of the roof and it will now comfortably pull a (edit) 23 car mixed freight plus a caboose on my level Unitrak loop. All the cars are equipped with Fox Valley metal wheelsets.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:38:37 AM by Jim Starbuck »
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:31:24 PM »
Note taken of that nice GE steeplecab build. I've got two shells waiting to become Sacto Northern units.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:38:25 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 11:02:29 PM »
I think I've mentioned this before, but here goes...

There is a wonderful selection available to the modern N scaler for motive power, both diesel and steam: what with ebay (there, Peteski, I said it! :) ), and the new stuff coming out, it seems (nearly) all the bases are covered.

Now, how about some electric locos? As near as I can tell, the only decent models available are the Bachmann Peter Witt, the GG-1, and, if you can find one, the nearest to a steeple cab is the obviously non-US little Kato model:

Not sure what you man Mark, referring to me and eBay. I use eBay just like others - but they current fee structures spawn all sorts of listings abuse.

As far as electric locos go lets face it: US railroads were never big into electrification and the percentage of electric locos to Diesel or steam is very small. That is reflected in N scale models.  Kato comes through with few examples, but other than that, the pickings are slim (except for the super-popular GG1).  I have a feeling that US-model manufacturers don't think electrics will sell well (and there is no catenary readily available either).  And electric locos running with a raised pantograph, picking up electricity from the air don't look very realistic or prototypical.
. . . 42 . . .

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 11:49:06 PM »
+1
One day I will find a client that will do a steeplecab.....
Of all the electrics there are small freight motor prototypes that have very broad application.   
With interurbans and streetcars you get highly individualized designs....North Shore Line vs Pacific Electric, and Milwaukee vs. Los Angeles, for example.
The steeplecab had fairly standard designs used all over North America (and exported all over the world!).
Everyone with a transition era railroad could add a interchange with a traction line by having a siding with fake trolley poles sans wire or string a couple feet of the real stuff.  Have the steeplecab waiting for the wayfreight to drop off a car or two and you've added another "industry" that doesn't have to have a building.....like Jim's MiniModUTrak module.
Charlie Vlk

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 08:17:13 AM »
With the Pennsy being one of my connections (the South Penn is controlled by the PRR, sort of like the CB&Q controlled the Colorado and Southern), 20 years ago, I felt the need to have a fleet of electric locomotives and MUs.  Fortunately Kato GG1s replaced the Arnold Rapidos, and a Kato box cab is a standin for the FF2 (ex GN).  I realized there would never be a P5A available.  But I attempted to build a GE E2b from the early LikeLike FA1 with some success.  I built an E44 body from scratch, but it lacked any detail.  I also had acquired a set of brass MP54s, but they mostly were parked and looked pretty because of poor pickup problems.

When I converted to DCC, most of the marginal stuff was relegated to the scrap bin. 

Over the last few years, I've had an renewed interest in electric power. On Shapeways you can find 3D printed shells for E44s and Silverliners (and E33s if you can handle PC).  The E44 shell, while nicely detailed, suffers from the 3D printed lines.  I have two and found how brittle the FUD material is when I tried to add handrails.  One shell finally made it onto a Atlas C630 frame.  Some day I'll try again so I can have a pair on the layout.   Two Silverliner shells run on Kato RDC mechanisms.  There's no way at the current time I could do the inner bearing trucks, so the standard RDC trucks will have to do.  Besides nobody here knows the difference.

So the would is full of compromises, and I certainly have plenty of excuses.  But at least I have most of what I wanted.

Bill Kepner
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:48:13 AM by drgw0579 »