Author Topic: Atlas C55 #10 Turnout Shortage? Again? [...sigh...]  (Read 5846 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3081
Re: Atlas C55 #10 Turnout Shortage? Again? [...sigh...]
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2017, 10:12:12 PM »
I used Peco Code 55 for many years, before starting my current layout in 2010 and switching to Atlas.  But honestly, I miss my Peco, mostly because of the ability to use turnouts without having separate switch machines or ground throws or whatever.  In industrial areas, it's just a lot more intuitive to look where you are going, "flick" the points to the right way, and do your thing, than look at a track diagram, figure out which DPDT switch you have to throw to make the turnout flip, etc.  (and for those folks who use routes with DCC, that's even worse IMHO).

Yes, my Atlas Code 55 looks better, but not THAT much better after painting/ballasting.  And if you're not doing close-up photography for a railroad mag or to impress your friends, no one notices the tie spacing.  I still think Peco could sell a lot of Code 55 North American prototype stuff in N scale, but I have no hesitation in recommending the current Peco line to folks who aren't obsessed about the "look" and want something that is bullet-proof, available, and relatively simple to use.

John C.

Completely agree with the Peco turnout comments.  It was mentioned by one of the Dave's (Vollmer or Foxx) in my build thread about switching over the Peco turnouts and initially I wasn't going to but became perturbed with my attempts and making my own center springs for the Atlas custom lines so I took a trip to LHS and bought a couple.  Now entire layout is Peco turnouts, replacing the last of them over the weekend.  Maybe when I remodel the house and rebuild the layout, I will go to Peco 55, I doubt it but will definitely stay with Peco turnouts for the same reasons you mentioned.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2017, 12:38:48 AM »
..., if I weren't such a track-nazi, ...
Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

You went there.  No complaints if we refer to you as 'the track nazi' now. :D

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1252
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »
+2
You went there.  No complaints if we refer to you as 'the track nazi' now. :D

Yup, it's true.  There are a few others here (and other places) that are even more extreme than I am, but they prefer to be less extroverted about it...   :D

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2017, 12:03:33 AM »

In the 21st century, I should think a fully fleshed-out line of North American track components and prototypical rail that doesn't fall apart, doesn't have profound gauge issues, doesn't go electrically dead at random, or isn't made of Chinese mystery-metal shouldn't really still be a pipe dream.

Although I'm keeping some of my N stuff I'm disappointed that N scale track systems haven't really kept up with the quantum leaps in locomotives and rolling stock in terms of performance AND appearance.

I think these are statements all manufacturers /suppliers of N scale track should read...and think about.

Mark in Oregon