Author Topic: Truck frame question - Bryan Bussey, maybe?  (Read 1236 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
Truck frame question - Bryan Bussey, maybe?
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:43:07 AM »
Since Bryan is the only member I know has personal experience with designing N scale truck frames, I'll direct this to him.  Anyone else with such experience is welcome to answer.

One of the common sights in the late 50s through the late 70s was solid-bearing trucks converted to roller bearings.  They were easily identifiable, with the journal box lids removed, and the new bearing visible in the box.

Would it be practical to model that in N scale?  The main problem I can see is whether there is enough plastic between the axle point and the outside of the casting to allow for a visible opening.  Such trucks would be appreciated by at least some modelers of the period, although whether there would be enough to make them profitable would be another topic.  But sales wouldn't matter if they are impractical to make.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Truck frame question - Bryan Bussey, maybe?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:45:49 AM »
John (Lemosteam) has designed several N scale trucks for 3-D printing and is selling them on Shapeways.  I also recall someone else doing side-frames for a Diesel.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 07:14:27 AM »
You mean like these?

C855B Image of the printed truck- needs a little air erasing in the bearing area:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:16:32 AM by Lemosteam »

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 07:52:48 AM »
Poster means Bettendorf journal-box couplers converted to roller bearings. The bearings were installed with the old journal box removed, thus you could partially see the new bearings through the open journal box.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:16 AM »
The side exterior truck frame relief would not be a factor regarding functionality. Start lobbying @Shipsure, he might be open to adding the variation to their truck frame line.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:36:38 AM »
Poster means Bettendorf journal-box couplers converted to roller bearings. The bearings were installed with the old journal box removed, thus you could partially see the new bearings through the open journal box.

Uh, @OldEastRR , OP asked if it was feasible in N to model converted journals citing lack of material behind the axle point, I posted an example of one that does not have issue with that, and Bettendorf was NOT specifically mentioned on his post.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 12:02:18 PM »
He did however mention the roller bearing contained within the old journal box... does not take away anything from your trucks and I'm sure the design concept carries over...

Here's a pic of Rapido's HO version, would make a wonderful addition to N scale...

and an ASF example.

The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »
Aye understood.  Cool look at the drain hole they drilled in there to prevent water contamination.  pictures speak a thousand words.

Those trucks I did must have milled the lower cup portion off instead of leaving it there like your pics.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 01:43:24 AM »
Ryan:  That's EXACTLY what I had in mind. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 07:35:33 AM »
On the Union Pacific, when sleeve-bearings on trucks were replaced by roller bearings, the journal box covers were retained, but they were painted either Amour Yellow or Aluminum.  A good example of this are the roller bearing trucks under the yellow and aluminum painted Daylight Livestock Service (or Livestock Dispatch service) stock cars.  All of the journal box lids were painted Armour Yellow on those Ogden/Salt Lake City to Los Angeles premier freights.

The lids were also lettered "Use No Waste, NMR Co." if ya want to get rivet-countery. 

This means that with a little Armour Yellow or flat Aluminum paint and a tiny spotting brush, you too can have roller bearing trucks on your Union Pacific cars RIGHT NOW!   8)

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 01:20:32 AM »
I only have a dozen or so UP cars, and some already have RB trucks, but I'll try to find prototype photos and see if the others can be painted.  Thank you!
N Kalanaga
Be well