Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/26/17  (Read 8857 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Weekend Update 2/26/17
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
Cool shot Richie, I've seen that building and never tried to get back there.

Here's the location next to the Minnesota Commercial.

https://goo.gl/maps/k8EENFN3k742

And a birds eye view.

https://binged.it/2lbqWeW

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »
I've made progress on a big project of mine.  A while back I finished a master for an early GP40-2 and this week I finally got around to making a mold and started the casting process.  I model Chessie System so I'll eventually need a bunch of these things.  I did a calculation years ago that if I had a 100 unit roster (for easy math), I would need 20-25 GP40-2's!

To make the model, I changed out the fans to the correct kind and swapped grills with a GP40.

Here's what the mold looks like.  I purposefully made all of those bumps and ridges so that the mold locks into place correctly.

I think I first started this project maybe four years ago? :scared: 

And these are some of the first few pictures with my new camera, a Nikon D3400.  Quite a jump from my old 5mp Nikon Coolpix 5700!  I'm still on the learning curve but I'm pleased so far.

Nice castings Aaron! I have not yet graduated to using 2-part molds.  How do you cast these so the castings come out bubble-free?  Do you squish-cast or have holes in the  mold to pour resin into?  Is the pink rubber OOMOO from Smooth-On?

The photos look good, but megapixels have nothing to do with that. I still use my 13-year-old Nikon CoolPix 8700 because it has really good macro capability (focuses as close as 1.2"). Not many other cameras can do that. It is capable of 8 Mp, but for the forum photos I rarely use anything more than 3 Mp setting (and I usually crop those). Forum will shrink photos uploaded to the posts down to 1024 pixels wide anyways, so anything larger than 1 Mp uploaded to the post is really wasted.
. . . 42 . . .

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »
+1
I plan on doing all Chessie GP40-2 versions eventually.  Even those hybrids. I do all my mold making with a pressure pot and that makes all the difference.   If I didn't,  the resin would be practically a foam.  You can't see it in the pics, but after the mold is done I take some brass rod and cut through the top half of the mold in a few places.  In some molds I might have a spot that consistently gets bubbles anddoing that takes care of them.  I pour the resin in and squish.  And that's mold max 30.  I don't recall the resin off the top of my head.
Aaron Bearden

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »
I plan on doing all Chessie GP40-2 versions eventually.  Even those hybrids. I do all my mold making with a pressure pot and that makes all the difference.   If I didn't,  the resin would be practically a foam.  You can't see it in the pics, but after the mold is done I take some brass rod and cut through the top half of the mold in a few places.  In some molds I might have a spot that consistently gets bubbles anddoing that takes care of them.  I pour the resin in and squish.  And that's mold max 30.  I don't recall the resin off the top of my head.

Might as well throw in a rebuild of a wrecked Phase III GP40 with an identity crisis for good measure  :ashat:

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 11:25:36 PM »
+18
Progress continues on my Kinzua mill scene with plenty more detailing ahead.  I had a goal of emphasizing the log deck and lumber yard areas of the mill since those are such signature features of PNW lumber mills and rarely modeled to reasonable proportions in the model railroad world.  I would've loved to devote even more space but hopefully the immensity of real world lumber mills is at least hinted at here.  Lotsa scratchbuilding here in the main mill building, dry kiln, and lumber drying shed and while I realize that these are pretty basic structures I'm very encouraged by the freedom that comes with not waiting for Walthers to come out with that model you've been waiting years for!

IMG_5616 (2) by Dean Ferris, on Flickr

IMG_5614 (2) by Dean Ferris, on Flickr

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 11:56:02 PM »
Awesome! I love the "flying buttresses" on the exterior of the corrugated shed. Very nice...
Otto K.

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 12:08:14 AM »
Progress continues on my Kinzua mill scene with plenty more detailing ahead.  I had a goal of emphasizing the log deck and lumber yard areas of the mill since those are such signature features of PNW lumber mills and rarely modeled to reasonable proportions in the model railroad world.  I would've loved to devote even more space but hopefully the immensity of real world lumber mills is at least hinted at here.  Lotsa scratchbuilding here in the main mill building, dry kiln, and lumber drying shed and while I realize that these are pretty basic structures I'm very encouraged by the freedom that comes with not waiting for Walthers to come out with that model you've been waiting years for!

You nailed it as far as I'm concerned! Reminds me of mills in Burns and other eastern Oregon locales. Mills come in all sizes so what you have there just fits right into my experiences with the perfect proportions.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 12:27:09 AM »
+6
Made some progress on the Jack Gronik building (purveyor of fine nuts!) for the Snake Track branch of the Milwaukee Road Beer Line. The core is an N Scale Architect kit, but heavily modified. I didn't like their brick material so I replaced it with Monster Modelworks brick. I like the way the bricks turned out. Craft store acrylic paint for the bricks and unsanded grout with 90% isopropyl alcohol wash. It still needs to be weathered but I am happy with it as this point.

<EDIT> I should have mentioned that this is HO in case it wasn't clear from my reference to the NSA kit.

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:39:29 PM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 03:49:02 AM »
+1
Made some progress on the Jack Gronik building (purveyor of fine nuts!) for the Snake Track branch of the Milwaukee Road Beer Line. The core is an N Scale Architect kit, but heavily modified. I didn't like their brick material so I replaced it with Monster Modelworks brick. I like the way the bricks turned out. Craft store acrylic paint for the bricks and unsanded grout with 90% isopropyl alcohol wash. It still needs to be weathered but I am happy with it as this point.

Best wishes, Dave

I also never cared for that model (the way it comes from N Scale Architect). You actually made that building kit look good!  Very nice job!
. . . 42 . . .

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 08:13:11 AM »
I've made progress on a big project of mine.  A while back I finished a master for an early GP40-2 and this week I finally got around to making a mold and started the casting process.  I model Chessie System so I'll eventually need a bunch of these things.  I did a calculation years ago that if I had a 100 unit roster (for easy math), I would need 20-25 GP40-2's!

To make the model, I changed out the fans to the correct kind and swapped grills with a GP40.

Here's what the mold looks like.  I purposefully made all of those bumps and ridges so that the mold locks into place correctly.

I think I first started this project maybe four years ago? :scared: 

And these are some of the first few pictures with my new camera, a Nikon D3400.  Quite a jump from my old 5mp Nikon Coolpix 5700!  I'm still on the learning curve but I'm pleased so far.
This is cool to see, I remember in MR in the late 80s that featured an article about reproducing Chessie GP40-2s in all 3 phases, I model late 70s Chessie and so I'll follow this closely. 8)

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:26 AM »
Aaron are you using "Smooth-On" for the mold making?

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »
+4
3D prints of the Skoonka rock sheds are turning out to be just what I needed.  Here is a raw PLA print in trial fitting.  I have worked out a simple process to smooth the rasters and get a realistic finish with some sanding and spray paint. Full steam ahead!

BCOL 747

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »

IMG_5616 (2) by Dean Ferris, on Flickr

IMG_5614 (2) by Dean Ferris, on Flickr

Just outstanding. I believe you have captured the look and size of a sawmill perfectly. I have two to build for my layout and yours has inspired me to get moving. How did you build your lumber loads? Being from timber country in Northern British Columbia they are very realistic.

Chris

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 01:36:04 PM »
+4
I have completed work the on MNSE's Port Bridge.

Here it is ready for the paint booth, first up a good coat of Primer!  :)

Our electrical work is humming right along!  With about 2/3's of the wiring completed.  :D

Jerry G.

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
I believe BLW, only had them on their website a day or two.  Before they were SOLD OUT!!!

wow!

Jerry G.

Admiring my 2 NS first responder training cars that came in today.