Author Topic: Something Different in the Athearn Annoucements?  (Read 1281 times)

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Something Different in the Athearn Annoucements?
« on: February 24, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
I was looking the the Athearn Seico Boxcar announcement and if you look at the bottom of the PDF, there is some bullets about the faded and worn in service schemes and an icon for "ready to rust"

http://www.athearn.com/newsletter/022417/13_N-scale_50ft_SIECO_Box_022417.pdf

That's kind of cool if they will start doing that to cars on a more regular basis.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
Re: Something Different in the Athearn Annoucements?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »
Primed for Grime is the slogan of the week. Looks like they are matching faded paint and patches, but leaving it up to the modeler to add the rest of the weathering.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
I 100% support and approve of this practice!   8)

Faded and lightly weathered, ready for graf and/or more weathering if needed.   Perfect.

Athearn has *sort of* been doing this for some time but not with a marketing campaign behind it.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 04:05:03 PM »
I have to admit I was against factory weathering when first proposed as I didn't think the results could be believable . I guess it was Joe at Micro Trains that proved to me that it can be done , ant not only that , done whereas each car is unique . Will Athearn's endeavor result in each car being unique ? Or will it be that each road number be a clone of the same road numbered car . Either way the patching and fading of road number specific cars is awesome . I wonder if factory new paint and schemes are going to fade out eventually . :facepalm:

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 04:21:06 PM »
. I guess it was Joe at Micro Trains that proved to me that it can be done , ant not only that , done whereas each car is unique .

Are you saying that  each of the same stock number graffitied and weathered cars is unique? I thought they were all uniformly covered with grafffii and with weathering. I mean the extreme printed part of weathering. Some weathered cars are lightly airbrushed and that does make each car unique, but within the same part number even the airbrushed weathering follows a similar pattern.  I somehow doubt that Athearn is ready to produce airbrush-weathered cars. More likely those will be ink jet printed weathering.

. . . 42 . . .

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 04:31:54 PM »
Are you saying that  each of the same stock number graffitied and weathered cars is unique? I thought they were all uniformly covered with grafffii and with weathering. I mean the extreme printed part of weathering. Some weathered cars are lightly airbrushed and that does make each car unique, but within the same part number even the airbrushed weathering follows a similar pattern.  I somehow doubt that Athearn is ready to produce airbrush-weathered cars. More likely those will be ink jet printed weathering.

No , not the tagging .

Richie Dost

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 05:51:02 PM »
I somehow doubt that Athearn is ready to produce airbrush-weathered cars. More likely those will be ink jet printed weathering.

Good question but just a base coat of some weathering and painted out logo's with restenciled reporting would be fine. That leaves plenty of artistic license for tagging or otherwise making it look pretty.  :D

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
excellent!