Author Topic: HOn3 Rio Grande Southern First District 1938-1945  (Read 161673 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: HOn3 Rio Grande Southern First District 1938-1945
« Reply #960 on: October 03, 2019, 12:48:24 PM »
+1
Well, I appreciate that.  I'm not after the respect posts so much as I'm trying my best to keep the Railwire a Forum for Modelers....

Maybe the problem is me.

I think it may be that you're taking on the moderation role with just a bit too much... conviction. As admirable as that may be, it can be terribly draining. (Ask me how I know...)

Perhaps relinquish that role? I doubt anyone would find fault in a move to improve one's emotional health...

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #961 on: October 03, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »

Which is to say maybe I do need to stick around here but just stay the hell out of the Crew Lounge, LOL...   :D

THIS

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #962 on: October 03, 2019, 12:53:13 PM »
I think it may be that you're taking on the moderation role with just a bit too much... conviction. As admirable as that may be, it can be terribly draining. (Ask me how I know...)

Perhaps relinquish that role? I doubt anyone would find fault in a move to improve one's emotional health...

I've considered that more than once.

TLOC

• Crew
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #963 on: October 03, 2019, 01:14:46 PM »
+1
You know there are times you have to sit  back and watch the world go round, this Doctor, maybe one of those times for you. I can tell you there are few Modelers that when I see their name I have to click on to see what they have to say or show. Many of them are on The Railwire, a couple on MRH and more then a few true Modelers at Railroad-Line Forums. Dave, you are one of them for me. I have your FB page, so I won’t lose sight, but many of your followers might not. Whatever you chose, remember this fricking world has and will continue to change. Bashing, bullying or just plain disrespect has become an acceptable norm and I don’t understand why. I respect and stand with your principles and may that in you never change. Happy modeling.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:42:36 PM by TLOC »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #964 on: October 03, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »
+3
Dave - Don't forget that you do have friends and, frankly, fans here. Take a break, catch your breath, and maybe we'll see you on the rebound. :)

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #965 on: October 03, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »
Dave,

Whoa, dude, ya can't quit!  Your modeling has been an inspiration to me and many many others.  Your layout is going to be published in the HOn3 annual for crying out loud.  If I had anything to do with your decision to quit, you have my deepest apology.  My curse is that I am willing to argue the side that I don't necessarily agree with and that often puts me on the unpopular side of many debates.  Anyway, don't quit, if you do then nobody benefits.

Scott 
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #966 on: October 03, 2019, 02:32:31 PM »
... if you do then nobody benefits.

Truth.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #967 on: October 03, 2019, 02:39:23 PM »
+1
Dave,

I get it.  I know you recall the comments back in 2017 when we switched to HO.  I actually felt the unnecessary, uncalled for, and incomprehensible bias for changing scales . . . in a hobby.  WTF?  Despite that really making me much less interested in social media (and about a three-month break therefrom), I have tried to keep my layout build thread going.  Sometimes, I don't know why I go to the effort, either, because it is easy to feel as if you're lost in the noise.  It takes time, and it takes effort to document the work and to put it into constructive posts to keep these threads going.  It's no fun when it feels like no one cares.

But, you don't have that lack of interest in your thread.  I will say that TRW would be losing a valuable commodity that is you and your modeling, if you were to stop posting here.  I only have Facebook mostly for keeping in touch with family- you know, post the occasional pictures of the kids.  But, since they're growing, there's less interest to keep that going as much nowadays, so I don't check into Facebook as much anymore.  In other words, I won't see your progress like I do here.  But, at the same time, I respect your choice to limit the amount of time that you want to put into social media.  Do what works for you. I'm just trying to point out that you are well-respected here, and your modeling would be missed if you terminate this thread.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #968 on: October 03, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »
FWIW, something else happened behind the scenes through PMs that hit me hard in a bad way.  But the P is for Private, so I won't share details.  But there's what you saw out front and there's also what happened behind the scenes.

I'll give this more thought.  I appreciate the support.  But it has to be more than just accolades and "please don't goes" for me to want to keep at this.  People are going to have to stop intentionally pressing each other's buttons and start treating each other better.  Seriously.  Just because the world outside the Railwire is hostile and cruel, it doesn't mean we have to shrug our shoulders and let that spill over here.

And for Tom's sake, lets see more model trains and less freaking panel discussions!  Jeez...   :facepalm:

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #969 on: October 03, 2019, 03:52:54 PM »
 ... came here to note a KUDOS to Dr. V for his completion of another excellent piece of modeling with the gondola build

thanks for sharing Dave and i hope you will continue to do so

sincerely

G
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #970 on: October 03, 2019, 05:47:16 PM »
+5
I do appreciate the outpouring of support, although I promise you I wasn’t seeking it.  So FWIW here’s what’s on the workbench now:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #971 on: October 03, 2019, 05:55:10 PM »
is that a kit or scratchbuilt?

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #972 on: October 03, 2019, 06:49:14 PM »
is that a kit or scratchbuilt?

It's a kit by Narrow Gauge Colorado.  Craig at NGC makes laser kits made up of layers of cardboard and the thinnest microply I've ever seen.  This is essentially the same construction as the Placerville depot kit except that it will eventually have trucks and couplers.  It's a very well designed kit.  My only pet peeve is that if you don't get the parts lined up exactly the first time, realignment is a bear because the cardboard (which is kind of fluffy) immediately soaks up the glue and bonds almost instantly.  I use Aleene's Tacky Glue or canopy glue for this rather than ACC.

He has a whole line of kits for specific work cars of the RGS and D&RGW based on the old D&RG 4000-series boxcar.  Of note, RGS (0)1789 still exists at the Colorado Railroad Museum.  This car was used in "water service" which is to say that it was used by the B&B (Bridge & Building) gangs to service the water tanks that the railroad spaced out roughly every 8-12 miles.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #973 on: October 04, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
People are going to have to stop intentionally pressing each other's buttons and start treating each other better.  Seriously.  Just because the world outside the Railwire is hostile and cruel, it doesn't mean we have to shrug our shoulders and let that spill over here.

Quoting for truth.

And as you all may know, it's the other mods who hold back my itchy trigger finger on the ban hammer for people who are pissing on the rug of my clubhouse. It really ties the room together and I will have NONE OF IT. lol

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #974 on: October 04, 2019, 01:10:43 PM »
Dr. Dave, Colorado Narrow Gauge is about #4 of what I want to model, please keep posting so I can get my Narrow Gauge fix...