Author Topic: Reversing sections with Digitrax DB150 and AR-1  (Read 2676 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: Reversing sections with Digitrax DB150 and AR-1
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
Ok .. one leg of that Y will need the other AR then ..

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 06:03:02 PM »
Metal wheels are still isolated on one side and unless there is an electrical path from one axle to another (like a brass car with brass sideframes and no further isolation) they should not short the loop?

That is not what we are worried about. It is the single metal wheel (on either or both tracks) bridging the gap which makes the gaped rail into continuous rail (electrically).  If the metal wheels happen to bridge the gaps on the both sides of the reversing section (even if it is only on one rail) then you have a dead short across the track voltage.
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 06:33:47 PM »
If you can wait till Saturday, I can show you how I did mine in a similar situation.
But since you're familiar with it already, I made the entire single track Pershing Ave section the reversing section. There's no reason I couldn't have extended that beyond to the double track through the city too, other than convenience.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 09:16:03 PM »
Something else I need to be thinking about is power districts so a short at one point does not shut down the whole railroad.

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »
I got the second AR wired in tonight and somewhat success !  Nothing shorted out right away, and no smoke !  I put an engine on the tracks, starting in the mill area and towards the switch that splits the loop.  Reverser kept clicking so I turned adjustment knob.  I got it to where engine would run back and forth but when i would go from one leg of the switch to the other, it would short out as soon as the engine hit the insolated joint, pause for a second then continue on.  Will play more with the knob and see if it will improve.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 07:48:15 AM »
That is not what we are worried about. It is the single metal wheel (on either or both tracks) bridging the gap which makes the gaped rail into continuous rail (electrically).  If the metal wheels happen to bridge the gaps on the both sides of the reversing section (even if it is only on one rail) then you have a dead short across the track voltage.

Ah, thanks for that!  That clears that up for me.

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
I was able to tune the sensitivity on the AR and got a test train from Porters thru both turnouts, around the loop, back thru the turnouts and returned to Porters this evening.  I ruined a curved Peco turnout but that was unrelated to the reverse loop/wiring etc.  One of the pivots was loose for the switch rails and I figured a drop of solder might do the trick.  Well, it didn't .  Doing that took away the ability of the center spring to hold the rails tight against the stock rail (would only hold one way) so I will have to replace that.  Maybe tomorrow while stopping by @Ed Kapuscinski I can swing into Kleins