Author Topic: Reversing sections with Digitrax DB150 and AR-1  (Read 2683 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
Reversing sections with Digitrax DB150 and AR-1
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »
With the redesign of my paper mill area, I have created a second reversing section that I need to gap/wire.  In the picture below shows the area.  In far lower right hand corner, I drew a yellow line showing where I had previously gapped the rails for the wye.  Where do I have to gap the new section and can I do it with existing equipment on hand.  I have a DB150 as my command station, which I read can be used as an auto reverser and a separate AR-1 which I was using for the previous set up.

20170218_084957[1] by Adam Henry, on Flickr

Thanks for your help...

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Reversing sections with Digitrax DB150 and AR-1
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:11:36 AM »
+1
Adam,

I would gap each diverging route (all four rails) right at that turnout near the NS locomotive (the turnout that's just peeking out from behind the scenic divider) at right in your picture, since that is where the loop doubles back on itself and should sufficiently long enough for a reversing section.  Connect that section to the AR-1, and you should be good to go.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »
So then the DB150 will handle the original reverse section at the wye ?  How do you wire the DB to have it be auto reverse.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:17:29 PM »
You can use your DB150 as either the command station or a reverser, but not both IIRC ... just gap the track like Dave F said, then use the AR1 .. within the loop

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 08:26:23 PM »
Ok.  That part I get.  I guess my issue is I originally had to have AR after the wye at Porters.  My thought process is that I need to add a second AR with the new reverse loop. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Maybe I'm making it harder than I think it needs to be, which most of the time is what I do... :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:29:45 PM by mu26aeh »

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
Ok, I'm digging around on the net and found this:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Can I make the straight section between the wye and the turnout that legs the reverse loop the reversing section ?

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:45:32 PM »
+3
Yes, you can do this by making the straight mainline between the loops the reversing section.  I have a section set up that way on my layout, and it works like a champ.  Be sure to include the turnouts at both ends inside the reversing section.  Gap all four rails at the frog end of each turnout.

One caveat with this method, operational, not construction, is that you need to not allow trains to cross the gaps at both ends at the same time.  There is a 50-50 chance of a short, depending on the positions of the turnouts.

There is a simpler way with cheaper components.  No auto-reverser needed, only a simple DPDT switch.  Leave everything as you have it now, since it is already working.  Wire the new loop to mainline power throught a DPDT switch, mechanincally connected to be thrown by the turnout motor which throws the points. 

I'll leave it at that, because this has been discussed and explained in detail on this forum.  Rather than Google, use the search feature in RailWire, and you should turn up plenty of information.  I'd just be repeating it.

Good luck.  Let us know how you decided to handle it, and what you got for results.
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 07:29:37 AM »
Can I make the straight section between the wye and the turnout that legs the reverse loop the reversing section ?

The reversing section needs to be longer than your train, so this won't work.  Instead, use an additional AR-1 and wire up the loop, as I suggested in my last post.

Hope this helps,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 07:48:31 AM »
The reversing section needs to be longer than your train, so this won't work.  Instead, use an additional AR-1 and wire up the loop, as I suggested in my last post.

Hope this helps,
DFF

Ok, that's what I thought.  In your first post, you just said connect the AR-1 to the new loop, with me not realizing you meant a second AR-1  :facepalm:

Damn, now I have to go to the hobby shop  :trollface:

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 07:54:23 AM »
Ok, that's what I thought.  In your first post, you just said connect the AR-1 to the new loop, with me not realizing you meant a second AR-1  :facepalm:

Damn, now I have to go to the hobby shop  :trollface:

Sorry about that.  I thought you meant that you had a spare AR-1 in your original post.  Oh, and there's worse things than having to go to the hobby shop.  :P

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 08:55:45 AM »
Sorry about that.  I thought you meant that you had a spare AR-1 in your original post.  Oh, and there's worse things than having to go to the hobby shop.  :P

DFF
Letting the magic smoke out is worse.
Peter Pfotenhauer

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »
For time being at least I can just gap the inner circle to prevent the reverse loop until I get the AR.  Time to start wiring feeders !

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
For time being at least I can just gap the inner circle to prevent the reverse loop until I get the AR.  Time to start wiring feeders !

I may have a used spare one I can ship you  -- or if you get to Eric's drop it off there

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 09:20:46 PM »

Good luck.  Let us know how you decided to handle it, and what you got for results.

Not sure why in the world somebody would down-vote your post (maybe another clueless random clicker?), but I fixed that for you.
. . . 42 . . .

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »
Thanks, Peteski.

Maybe I was misunderstood.  I was merely trying to offer alternatives, but I guess I could have sounded like a fault-finder.

Anyway, the OP has several ideas to work with.  That's what I like about this forum.  Usually there are several options to attain a goal, and the members will point out most viable ones.
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa