Author Topic: TRW says the "upload folder is full"  (Read 2636 times)

jpwisc

• Crew
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: TRW says the "upload folder is full"
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
Could things be changed so when you attach a photo, it automatically gets dumped into your gallery? Then we would have the ease of posting and long term viewability?
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
Could things be changed so when you attach a photo, it automatically gets dumped into your gallery? Then we would have the ease of posting and long term viewability?

I really don't see that much difference between adding photos using the old "Attachments and other options" method and the "Add image to post and add to gallery".  Assuming that both methods work, there is not that much difference between them (mouse-click-wise).  I think the main difference is that with te Gallery you have to do one-time-only initialization of the gallery. After that both methods are just as simple.
. . . 42 . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »

Well, that's almost how it works now; except you can have multiple galleries so it allows you to select the one you want.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »
Well, it's Tom's football as someone said, and I respect that, but it doesn't mean I like  it. Life and internet life especially is so ridiculously and needlessly complicated as it is, and it's hard to keep up with it all and keep it all straight for us old guys. Everyday people keep moving my cheese and now Railwire does, too.  :P
I LIKED the old way, attach a pic and click; I don't care how many times Peteski tells me it's just as simple and better, it isn't for me. Frankly, my iPad doesn't play well with the gallery, or maybe I'm too dense. But not need or want yet another hosting site, I've had half a dozen of them and each one a big disappointment over time. All I want here is to be able to attach pics to illustrate a reply or post, nothing more, and I haven't yet been able to do that since the changeover.
Now if there was a reason, like saving money or reducing logistical effort for the admins, I'd get in line and not fuss about it, but I haven't seen any explanation other than  :ashat: "really really" wants us to upload to gallery. Sorry Tom, no disrespect meant, just a little flustered with my inability to participate in my favorite train site.
Regards, Otto K.

jpwisc

• Crew
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 11:17:42 PM »
Otto,
I also visit via my iPad and iPhone, maybe that is why I also feel the new way is more complicated and takes more steps. I’m sure I’ll be fine once I get in the habit of copying and bouncing around.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 11:25:56 PM »
Life and internet life especially is so ridiculously and needlessly complicated as it is, and it's hard to keep up with it all and keep it all straight for us old guys. Everyday people keep moving my cheese and now Railwire does, too.  :P
I LIKED the old way, attach a pic and click; I don't care how many times Peteski tells me it's just as simple and better, it isn't for me. Frankly, my iPad doesn't play well with the gallery, or maybe I'm too dense.

Otto, since you mentioned my name, I feel compelled to comment here throwing my ad-nauseum 5 cents.  :D

To compare the upload procedures, here's your beloved way to do that.

There are 3 steps involved -- you are quite familiar with this method.

Well, here it the dreaded new way Tom wants us to utilize (uploading the photos to the gallery).

So, there are now 4 steps involved. The only additional step is to give the photo a title. You can just type in a single random character in the Subject field (although it would be nice to give it some useful name).  Is this really that much more difficult?

So forget my lengthy instructions on how to create a well-organized gallery. That provided that info for people who want to be able to easily find their uploaded photos at some point in the future, and to make it easier for other members to look at the (well organized) photos. You don't need all that "useful" crap!  So, in its simplest form the gallery upload is only 1 more click away than the old attachment method.  :D  If there is a problem on your iPad then I hope that Tom can resolve it. If not then I guess you will be totally at the mercy of Tom increasing the storage space for the uploads.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:37:18 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 07:03:46 AM »
@Cajonpassfan since you ask, attachments offer no way to organize them.  They all sit in one directory with a hashed filename. The Gallery allows you to create your own 'space' that you can then view and manage yourself.  Peteski's directions are all that there is to it; there are more options on the dialog but the process is almost the same as attachments.

edit:  Ok I see what you mean with an iPad.  It's not working right: the dialog should insert the image to the newly uploaded photo and it isn't.  I'll take a look.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
Darn, I see more silly misteakes in my post and I can't fix them dammit!  Can we re-enable editing posts please?  I'm really bad with this (even if I proof read 3 times before hittint the "post" button.  :facepalm:  Otto's belowed way to upload  . . .  :facepalm: :facepalm:  Then there is "gouess".  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I promise not to delete any of my posts when I decide to storm out of here! Honest!  :)
. . . 42 . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »
Can someone check this out with an android device please? @Ed Kapuscinski ?

Rasputen

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
I want to add an attachment that is a PDF file, not just a photo.  Can I get my space expanded?  Also, I need to edit an older post in order to remove the old version of the PDF file, and I can't...

cbroughton67

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 08:55:14 AM »
So, I reply to a post, click "add photo to post and upload to gallery." So far, so good.

The photo appears in the gallery, but no link to the photo is added to the reply. End result is that I can't post photos in a forum response. I can add a photo to the gallery, and I can respond to a post, but I can't do both.

When was this change implemented, and when/where was it announced?

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:14 AM »
Is this with an iPhone or Android @cbroughton67 ? It works on a desktop the way Peteski describes.

Edit: Ok, until I can get the gallery working correctly, I increased the storage space of the Attachments.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:10:31 AM by tom mann »

cbroughton67

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »
Is this with an iPhone or Android @cbroughton67 ? It works on a desktop the way Peteski describes.

Edit: Ok, until I can get the gallery working correctly, I increased the storage space of the Attachments.

Tom, this is from my laptop using FireFox.

Chris
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »
So, I reply to a post, click "add photo to post and upload to gallery." So far, so good.

The photo appears in the gallery, but no link to the photo is added to the reply. End result is that I can't post photos in a forum response. I can add a photo to the gallery, and I can respond to a post, but I can't do both.

When was this change implemented, and when/where was it announced?

@cbroughton67 , did you happen to scroll down in the response?  the tool has a habit of adding extra carriage returns after the last line of text.  This happened to me this morning- I thought it did not work but then I found the embedded string farther down in the response.  I suppose a preview might have helped in my case,

cbroughton67

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 02:16:56 PM »
@cbroughton67 , did you happen to scroll down in the response?  the tool has a habit of adding extra carriage returns after the last line of text.  This happened to me this morning- I thought it did not work but then I found the embedded string farther down in the response.  I suppose a preview might have helped in my case,

I did thinking the same thing, and I also tried a "test" post after walking through the "add and upload" process. No pic...
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.