Author Topic: Tripod and Head for video use.  (Read 1843 times)

havingfuntoo

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
Tripod and Head for video use.
« on: February 13, 2017, 01:40:46 AM »
I am looking to upgrade the tripod and head that I use for video, any guidance and suggestions will be appreciated. The major use will be in the field, so excessive weight is not desired, but a sturdy build is required, a balance between the two is what I am desiring. My preference is for the unit to have a fluid head and a leveling bubble built in, for all the other features I am open to suggestion and recommendation.     

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
Re: Tripod and Head for video use.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:12 PM »
I am looking to upgrade the tripod and head that I use for video, any guidance and suggestions will be appreciated. The major use will be in the field, so excessive weight is not desired, but a sturdy build is required, a balance between the two is what I am desiring. My preference is for the unit to have a fluid head and a leveling bubble built in, for all the other features I am open to suggestion and recommendation.     

How much you wanna spend?

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:40:04 PM »
Try ebay. I purchased a fluid head for my manfroto look alike several years ago and it sure makes for better videoing. Cannot remember brand. It may also be a wise idea to check out the new range of tripods with ball heads. I recently purchased a Mefoto brand light weight tripod for my DSLR and it works a treat it might work for you.
Good hunting.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:18:43 PM »
Here's the latest version of what my video tripod & fluid head are:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1175940&gclid=CI6r5ZWekdICFQouaQodiFoCKA&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677682%2C&is=REG&A=details

This is what I carry for both location photography and video except mine says "Bogen" on it, and has served me well for many years.

However, it's not a "pro" setup by any means.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

havingfuntoo

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
Hi Bob, my spend is not so important but it is a balance of justification. I know I can throw many many dollars at this equipment, it is more a matter of balancing my spend against the standard of equipment for my use and results. I need to expose the fact I am a hack and could be classed as someone who uses a camera rather than being a person who creates photographs, I love auto settings.  I bought new quiet a few years ago a Manfrotto 136 head on 055c sticks. The sticks are fine but the head has a tendency to be sticky on the start of panning, just can not seem to get it right, my patience has run out and it will be relegated to the camera. It is quiet a heavy setup but the weight is handy.

I am looking at a Gitzo G2380 or Manfrotto MVH500AH, head on sticks yet to be decided. My request is putting it out there for suggestions that I might not have considered or been aware of from some of you who are far more familiar with the available products in the industry.

Rod thanks for the suggestion, I have been looking, it is getting knowledge of the products that are best suited my need at the moment.

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »
Okay, so here a couple of suggestions:

1. You could do what I did.  Go to Amazon and look up tripod/head.  There were, at last count, more than 28,000 items.  Sort them by price and customer ratings.  Buy the one in your price range that has the highest customer rating.  I got one that works ok, but it's not one that I would necessarily recommend to anyone.

2. Go to your local camera shop and try out what they have.  If you don't have a local camera shop, try BestBuy.

The choice of a tripod/head is a highly personal one, more personal than the choice of camera.  The only way that you will make an acceptable choice is to do a hands-on evaluation.  I would go with suggestion #2.

Just my 2 cents.

p.s. Let us know what you come up with.  It may help others who read this forum.  Including me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:08:54 PM by nscaleSPF2 »
Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

havingfuntoo

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:20:31 AM »
Thank you Jim, your #2 is the way for me.

Buying by price alone is not where I normally start, performance and features is my kick off point. and it is interesting to read the comments associated to ratings, I find a lot of people just like to see their words in print and offer no substance to back their appraisals.

The challenges of filming moving trains is a lot like those in bird photography or car circuit racing so I have been leaning towards some of the knowledge that people who dabble in those areas have, but the pro stuff is way to hard for me to justify.   

I started with an open request for suggestions because I hopped to flesh out knowledge available for some of the more experienced members rather than just 'this is what I am considering'. As usual my choice of head is not common hence it is not so easy to find one and test it. It will require me to make a dedicated shopping trip, so it will be a little while before I can report my decisions and why.  Until then any suggestions will be gratefully received.   

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 06:55:32 PM »
You might also look at another option for videoing . I purchased one of these to use with my Panasonic HD Video recorder. It took a little while to get it to balance with my camera however it has been great to use when videoing several of my friends layouts, Sn3 and N Scale.

AU PRO Handheld Stabilizer Steadicam Steadycam For DV Video DSLR Cam Camcorder

I interchange between this and my fluid drive on my tripod to give me the best of both .
This item is on ebay and a reasonable price.
Sorry I did not copy the link correctly.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

havingfuntoo

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »
That stabilizer looks interesting, they seem to be selling for about $35au.  Would that be the same thing as you are referring to?

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 02:59:19 AM »
That stabilizer looks interesting, they seem to be selling for about $35au.  Would that be the same thing as you are referring to?
Yes it is. As mentioned I have used mine to video layouts and surprised just how steady it can be. Just another bit of gear to add to the bag.
The one above is the same as I purchased and made for a DSLR. I needed to take the supplied weights off and added a small number of auto panel washers to get it balanced. Once done I marked all of the positions with a permanent marker pen just in case LOL.
I also purchased a slider with a fluid head attached. This helps me track locos on the layouts and adds another point of view when making my videos.
I have found these to be better even than just a fluid head.
Have fun.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com