Author Topic: Archer rivet decals. Help!  (Read 1497 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Archer rivet decals. Help!
« on: February 11, 2017, 02:45:50 AM »
+1
Trying to apply these, if it maters I'm using 5/8 inch streetcar rivets in HO. You have to cut the decal paper into strips. The rivets rows are about 1/16" apart so that is how wide the sheet need cut. I cut the strips to length that is needed, lets say an inch long. Dip in water, doesn't take long. Go to slide them off onto the model and I get about 5-6 rivets at a time. The sheet/strip breaks up. This makes it hard to lay a 1" strip and it's all piece together so I have even more fun keeping it straight.

I've only tried these rivets twice and it did this both times.

How do you guys keep these sheets together?????????????????

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1252
Re: Archer rivet decals. Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:54:03 AM »
+1
I have the same problem with them.  I just buck it up and fiddle with 'em until the lines are straight.  It's a PITA, but the final results are worth it, and because the decal film is soooo thin, it really does disappear....which is good.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 04:31:09 AM »
+1
That is what I did. Probably looking at 25 separate pieces here:

:facepalm:

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 09:29:09 AM »
+1
I've recently ordered some of the rivets in N.  I've watched the how to video from Archer's website(link below if you've never seen it).  He states that these are printed on Microscale decal paper.  I wonder if using a bit of Microscale's liquid decal film will help in this situation?  The surface details are a resin I do not see why there would be an adverse reaction to the liquid decal film.  Has anyone tried this?  I think I'll email them just to check. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aptnvFeEqio
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:38:20 AM by bman »

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »
I've watched the how to video from Archer's website(link below if you've never seen it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aptnvFeEqio

Great trick with the hemostat and all  ;)
Lennart

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »
I've had this problem occasionally as well. In some cases I think it may have something to do with how old the product is; if I've had it stashed away for some time the film seems to be a little brittle. With fresh product I can use strips up to 2 inches without too much trouble. Maybe try cutting your strips a little wider so that you get a little more of the of the backing film to hold the strip together. You can cut really close to the rivets on one side and not so close on the other side if you need to create a double row of rivets or if you need to snug a row up to an edge or etc. Make sure your blade is really sharp so it cuts the film cleanly.

Geoff

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »
Spray the sheet with Dullcote prior to use.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 02:22:03 PM »
+1
The rivets are just another type of waterslide decal. As it has been mentioned, I have seem many instances of cracked decal film on older decal sheets. I think that humidity also makes them age fast. This is especially true for decals which use very thing film, (like Microscale), but I have also seen shattered decals which use much thicker clear film (usually in Japanese model kits from Tamiya, Aoshima or Hasegawa).

Applying a coat of Microscale clear decal film over the entire sheet of cracked decal should work. I usually apply at least 2 coats.
. . . 42 . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1240
    • Modutrak
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 09:28:27 AM »
Are you cutting with a knife and straightedge, or using scissors?  Fragile decal film really doesn't like curl, bending, or other indelicate handling.  Best bet is a new blade and straight edge.