Author Topic: Early Wheels of Time Cars (Resin?)  (Read 1503 times)

rcbond4449

• Respect: 0
Early Wheels of Time Cars (Resin?)
« on: February 11, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »
I have just recently started purchasing the Wheels of Time passenger cars.  I am wondering if they did any other cars prior to the 60ft Baggage Express cars etc that has come out since 2010.  I thought I read somewhere that they did some resin cars previously. Anyone have pictures or information on the earlier cars??

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
Re: Early Wheels of Time Cars (Resin?)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »
I can't tell you the exact date that WoT first released their injection molded Harriman cars (including the 60' baggage and a coach), but that certainly seems like it was earlier than 2010.  But at any rate, prior to bringing out their line of injection molded cars, they did indeed make resin kits.  I have one for a Harriman 70' baggage mail car. (sorry, it is still buried in a box from the move last year, waiting for the train room in the basement to get new lights and paint, so can't do a pic). I believe there were several other kits in the series.  Every once in a while, a kit shows up in online auctions.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Frisco Larry

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »
The first WOT cars I got, came out  2/2009 and they were not the first injected mold cars.  I have one of their early resin kits, but the date of release/purchase has been lost .

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »
Didn't WoT previously have brass kits too?

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 07:33:23 PM »
WoT did indeed once offer a brass 10-6 SP sleeper.
I think their first injection molded car was the SP/C&NW gallery commuter coach.
I have kits for an SP Harriman RPO/baggage in resin, and an IC 70' baggage car in resin.  Both quite nicely done.

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:01:11 PM »
I bought four of the early WOT cars when they came out. I looked at a couple of them that still need to be decaled an the instruction sheet is dated 2/99...so it looks like 1999 or so is the timeline - I know I've had them forever. I got the 70' Harriman baggage-express and the 70' baggage RPO. They also had done a straight RPO but I remember I couldn't afford it - these cars were like $40 back then. They were cast in green or gray so you didn't have to paint them if you did not want to - they look better painted and the doorway area thinned so the thick walls aren't so obvious. The roofs take a bit of filing so they sit properly also. Nice cars especially as they haven't been redone in plastic.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 06:20:36 PM »
                   :|Their first or maybe second car was the SP Mail Baggage kit, I have one un built. At about the same time is when he offered the first RTR car the brass SP 10-6 Sleeper, I bought two one in Yellow and Gray Streamliner colors, and one in Silver with Scarlett letter boards. The last kit if I' am recalling was for a modernized Lark RPO car. The brass car was too expensive so injection molded cars became the norm. The brass sleeper does have a tan plastic interior, it (the interior) was never sold as a separate part. Nate Goodman (Nato).  :|

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »
Welcome to the Rail Wire!

The WOT RTR cars are very nice and very accurate in regards to the SP. You mentioned the 60' cars, he previously released a 70' Baggage (ex El Paso & Southwestern) cars. The latest being the 80-BH-1 "Baggage Horse" car. Again, all very accurate regardless of the SP paint scheme. You were wondering about the early resin "kits". Here's a short list of SP releases:

Stock #        Car                    Class            Finish
WOT #102   70' Baggage        70-B            "Dark Olive"
WOT #103   70' Baggage        70-B            "Dark Lark Gray"
WOT            70' Bag-Postal      70-BP-30     "Dark Olive"
WOT #122   69' Bag-Postal      69-BP-30     "Undec"
WOT #118   70' Baggage        70-B-8         "Undec"  (Streamlined Heavyweight for Lark)
WOT #119   60' Postal            60-P            "Undec"  (Streamlined Heavyweight for Lark)

These cars are very accurate as well. You just have to build them.
Hope this answers some questions....  :D
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »
Welcome to the Rail Wire!

The WOT RTR cars are very nice and very accurate in regards to the SP. You mentioned the 60' cars, he previously released a 70' Baggage (ex El Paso & Southwestern) cars. The latest being the 80-BH-1 "Baggage Horse" car. Again, all very accurate regardless of the SP paint scheme. You were wondering about the early resin "kits". Here's a short list of SP releases:

Stock #        Car                    Class            Finish
WOT #102   70' Baggage        70-B            "Dark Olive"
WOT #103   70' Baggage        70-B            "Dark Lark Gray"
WOT            70' Bag-Postal      70-BP-30     "Dark Olive"
WOT #122   69' Bag-Postal      69-BP-30     "Undec"
WOT #118   70' Baggage        70-B-8         "Undec"  (Streamlined Heavyweight for Lark)
WOT #119   60' Postal            60-P            "Undec"  (Streamlined Heavyweight for Lark)

These cars are very accurate as well. You just have to build them.
Hope this answers some questions....  :D

To add to this list: he also did (in resin) an SP RPO - I'm not at home, so I can't provide his part number.

Thanks,
Wolf