Author Topic: STATIC GRASS APPLICATOR  (Read 1927 times)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +381
Re: STATIC GRASS APPLICATOR
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 11:24:09 PM »
I see you mention diluted matte medium, not diluted Elmers as mentioned by some.  Any embellishments on this?

Elmers has a gloss, whereas matte medium doesn't.  However, some matte medium deteriorates over time and will leave funky white crusties when it dries, so I am careful to test mine before doing critical work.

Static grass fibers have a glossy surface, which I don't find objectionable as real grass also is fairly reflective, but glossy ground is too much for me, so I use matte medium (Liquitex) to eliminate it.

If you object to the glossy surface of your static grass fibers, Dullcote will tame it quickly.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +447
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 11:35:06 PM »
Got it. 8)  Thanks.
Mark G.

GRUSS444

• Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! Bought one of the cheaper Grasstech units.Been experimenting good coating of glue and a slight misting of water seems to really help.The grasses standing up is great look.The funnel nozzle might be a great added feature.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +447
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
+1
Got that Static Grass unit.  It totally works and it's even decently made.  Right size, right options, all decently made and decently packaged.  I'm a little finicky about rating things but not against using something that works even if it's a little bit less than top shelf. 

It's that attitude that looks at this and gives it an 8 out of 10 regardless of price.  It's nicely done, very acceptable.  That is mostly based on my very discriminating attitude when it comes to tools.  When considering the price it gets a 9.5 out of ten.  NOTHING gets a 10 out of 10. ;) :D  I can totally recommend it and especially for the use it will see.  I'm happy.

When getting this link I see the price went up to $50 with free shipping.  When I ordered it was $45 with free shipping.  Still worth it, I think.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/262783511389
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:17:31 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1045
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 09:47:56 AM »
Has anyone done a comparison between the eBay applicator ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/262783511389) and the Grass Tech applicator from Micro-Mark (https://www.micromark.com/Economy-Static-Grass-Applicator-by-Grass-Tech-USA)? I have the Grass Tech applicator, and it seems to do okay. I'm just wondering how it compares to other models.

Chris

Chris Broughton

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »
I've made the fly swatter model and purchased the one from eBay. Both work fine. Mine are battery powered. The one from eBay is a bit neater in application. If you make the swatter model, try and find a strainer with a plastic edge in case of accidental contact with your grounding wire. The eBay one stores up quite a static charge so remove the batteries and discharge it before you put it away - I forgot those 5th grade science labs about static electricity...when the clip hit the screen it bit like a crocodile. My forearm hurt for 2 days...
"It's sad that you have to die to see how many people loved you..." - Rodney Bingenheimer