Author Topic: New NCE decoders - Kato drop in, NEM 6-pin and Signal/Lights!  (Read 1079 times)

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
    • ShastaRails.com
New NCE decoders - Kato drop in, NEM 6-pin and Signal/Lights!
« on: February 01, 2017, 02:18:19 AM »
Just saw some new doc uploads from NCE.  Check out "NCE News Wire 1/20/17" https://www.ncedcc.com/blank

The most exciting to me is the new lighting decoder, the Light-It! Available in 3, 6 and 15 packs for about $7 MSRP. Each can control up to 3 lights. The most interesting part to me is for driving signals.
Some details: Light-It https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000497683-Light-It

Also new drop in decoders. The one that's been missing from the NCE lineup has been drop-in for Kato. It's a welcome new product for a price that is less than Digitrax and TCS.
N14K1
N14K2

N12-NEM (this is the 6-pin plug that Fox Valley Models uses (GEVOs, GP60s, SD70ACE) and Arnold SW1...probably others but those are what I have personally used.

There are some others too.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +943
Re: New NCE decoders - Kato drop in, NEM 6-pin and Signal/Lights!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:51:06 AM »
Thanks for the update. Nice to see a U.S. supplier getting real with pricing. I installed my first 21MTC decoders this week, from ESU, and was surprised at the $20 each after discount for a 6-function loco decoder. Too bad the 21MTC format won't fit in N scale hood units. I chanced into a no-name 21MTC decoder yesterday for $15, so that product space is becoming very competitive.

Very good news on the lights-only decoder. That's more like it. It always puzzled me how much the majors were charging for basic lights-function-only boards when most of their general product investment is in motor control software, and the R&D and support behind it. One question I have - I guess it'll be answered soon enough - does it respond to the loco or accessory addressing subset? Or maybe configurable for either?
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:32:20 PM »
This is great news for the light decoders.  I can see how you incorporate these into signalling and other tasks.  Adding a small relay and you can use them for pretty much anything.

I'm hoping these drop in decoders will work on my Kato models and the 6-pin is also very welcome.

Nice to see useful releases.  NCE are tops in my book for products and service.   My system works well, and when it had a problem, they fixed it for free. 

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 10:28:30 PM »
Ryan,

I have a bunch of the Light-Its from NCE.  If you are going to make the San Jose Free-moN setup, I can bring a few.

-Dave

railnerd

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »
One question I have - I guess it'll be answered soon enough - does it respond to the loco or accessory addressing subset? Or maybe configurable for either?

It ONLY responds to NMRA signal packets, which are distinct from turnout or locomotive addresses.

-Dave

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 12:43:17 AM »
Yes, I plan to be there. Would love to check one out. Thanks Dave!
-Ryan

Ryan,
I have a bunch of the Light-Its from NCE.  If you are going to make the San Jose Free-moN setup, I can bring a few.
-Dave

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +675
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 12:11:10 PM »
It ONLY responds to NMRA signal packets, which are distinct from turnout or locomotive addresses.

-Dave

Umm, you lost me, can you please clarify?
Thanks, Otto K.

railnerd

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
Umm, you lost me, can you please clarify?
Thanks, Otto K.

The NMRA signal aspect packets are a new type of DCC packet, which is not the same accessory packets used to control switch machines.

The upshot is, you'll need to be using a computer with JMRI, or something like an NCE mini panel to send those packets.

-Dave

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
Well, that's a bummer. I was simply going to use them to turn on and off caboose and end of train markers using my NCE cabs. This means I need to use a computer/JMRI to turn on the marker light on a caboose  :facepalm:
Not happening...
Otto K.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:31:37 PM by Cajonpassfan »

railnerd

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 01:31:19 AM »
Well, that's a bummer. I was simply going to use them to turn on and off caboose and end of train markers using my NCE cabs. This means I need to use a computer/JMRI to turn on the marker light on a caboose  :facepalm:
Not happening...
Otto K.

Yeah, not meant for that…  you'll probably want to look at a TCS "function-only" decoder for that.

-Dave

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 10:00:39 AM »
Yea, I know, it's just that those decoders cost as much as the caboose...
Well, maybe someone will come out with something sinpler and more affordable, I was hoping this was it.
Thanks for the information.
Otto K.