Author Topic: MTL Gunderson Husky Stack well car  (Read 18260 times)

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
Re: MTL Gunderson Husky Stack well car
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2017, 01:22:01 AM »
Cant wait for these to come out. My Athearn/MDC ones will meet their fate in a trash bin... Most likely anyway... Both are feather weights so you cant even run them empty reliably...
And the etched metal on the Athearns pop off if you look at them funny... So imo good riddance.

Now if we could get some TSCs on them that would be better.  :D
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2017, 10:12:36 PM »
How thick are the 1:1 walkways?!  Usually etched stainless steel is around 0.010" (or 1.6 scale inches), isn't it?  That's too thin?

Well, take a look:  http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/sflc254259b.jpg

The walkway surface material is of course nowhere near that thick, but they have bent down structral framing that may be, depending on how long a span it supports.  I feel like the GMM walkways must thinner than .010" (maybe that's how they're able to get a finer hole patter?).  But maybe it's just one of those things that subjectively doesn't quite look right to me. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2017, 11:09:03 PM »
Well, take a look:  http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/sflc254259b.jpg

The walkway surface material is of course nowhere near that thick, but they have bent down structral framing that may be, depending on how long a span it supports.  I feel like the GMM walkways must thinner than .010" (maybe that's how they're able to get a finer hole patter?).  But maybe it's just one of those things that subjectively doesn't quite look right to me.

I see what you mean - the edges seem to be bent down 90 degrees.  But in my eyes, those still look thinner than the MTL parts (but I guess the only way to be sure would be to measure both of them).  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8040
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
unfortunate comment.  I think we have done a pretty good job the past 15 years getting them down...certainly the past 30 or so cars I've worked on have been made with that in mind.   I can't speak for cars done 30 years ago, different time and different standards.  We always have to deal with the dreaded standard coupler height that complicates how you handle the ends of the car.

Joe

Agreed. While I think we all still talk some smack about the moldy oldies, MTL's recent offerings have absolutely been an improvement in this dimension. That's an unfair shot.