Author Topic: New MR Project Layout - Canadian Canyons  (Read 5862 times)

Mstyle88

• Respect: 0
New MR Project Layout - Canadian Canyons
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:49:40 PM »
I noticed Model Railroader Video Plus is offering a 20 minute free sneak peek in to their latest layout. It is a small layout based on the Thompson River Canyon and the Fraser. I found a few interesting methods of construction including lift away scenery to get to the lower staging deck and pull apart benchwork. Worth a watch!

http://mrv.trains.com/how-to/modeling/2017/01/canadian-canyons-series-welcome-to-the-fraser--thompson-river-canyons-in-n-scale

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Re: New MR Project Layout - Canadian Canyons
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
Cool video!  Thanks for the heads up!

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »
+1
Interesting...packing half a Canada into a 5x7 space  :scared:   If anyone has ever checked out any of the UK modeling I think you see an interesting alternative to what we tend to do over here.  The exhibition models basically feature a scene modeled pretty much close to scale as the core of the layout with run around or staging to the rear.  One of the coolest layouts I've seen for it's shear simplicity is Peter North's Virginian circular layout, one I have considered modifying to do something with.   Here in the states I guess we have a grander sense of self and our hobby and seem to pack too much into a small space.  Track plan here is pretty good but feels a bit chaotic with too much wedged in.  The Virginian layout they did a few years ago in HO was proportional to its size and subject matter.    The concentration was on developing a scene and not trying to squash a 1000 mile of track into a limited area.   We have a tie plant and a lumber mill that are huge in scope...a few Micro Engineering metal sided buildings just won't look right.   I think modeling that lumber operation along a 5' side with a ton of buildings and switching options would have been more interesting.  But heck, I'm just arm chair modeling right now.  I enjoy these projects, lots of useful information and things to chew on.
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Van Horne

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »
+1
Joe, with all due respect, this isn't replicating 1000 miles of track.  The area represented is less than a division length.  Probably less than 100 kilometers (60 miles) or so.  It is a form of display layout for running long modern trains, not a switching layout.

Dave

Mstyle88

• Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »
True, this is a form of display layout. Looks like the size is around 5' x 7' in a few parts, so probably designed to fit into an SUV or trailer with other traveling layouts. Using some of these techniques you could certainly expand this design.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +888
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:42:59 AM »
Joe, with all due respect, this isn't replicating 1000 miles of track.  The area represented is less than a division length.  Probably less than 100 kilometers (60 miles) or so.  It is a form of display layout for running long modern trains, not a switching layout.

Dave
ok, squashing 100km into a Cal king bed is a joke. I couldn't squeeze Tehatchapi or Cajon into the same space.

I looked into making a display layout of the tunnels above the Tehatchapi Loop on a 4x8...I quickly realized that the train that would take up the visible half would be maxed out with 3 locos and less than 20 cars...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:55:08 AM by johnb »

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »
I wasn't being critical, just poking a bit of fun and making an observation.  Like I said, looking forward to the project.  My only suggestion would be to move the tie plant away from the lumber operation or create some sort of visual block...just a preference given how much photography is done on our layouts.  I come from the John Olson school of modeling (we both worked for Disney) creating zones.  We did it at the park and it spills into our modeling. 

Joe

Dave
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »
+1
It will be interesting to see if this project layout cuts any new ground the way the Clinchfield RR layout did in N scale. David mentioned in the video that this is their most researched and planned project layout in N scale since the Odegard classic of the late 70s.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »
+1
The Virginian layout they did a few years ago in HO was proportional to its size and subject matter. 

Not only did I enjoy the Virginian project railroad, I also enjoyed the Thin Branch extension to the Virginian layout. Another enjoyable project railroad was the Red Oak
I'm also enjoying the Snake Track extension for the Milwaukee Road Beer line.

Over the years Model Railroader has had some neat layouts that fit in small spaces.
It's also neat when someone take a MR project and makes it their own, like Steve Campbell did with the Virginian project railroad.
https://hitopbranchmodelrr.com/history-of-the-secondary/about/

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:45:27 PM by Rich_S »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 02:35:21 PM »
I have the Virginian project layout scaled down to N in my basement... leaning against the wall...  :lol:

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 01:01:38 AM »
+1
How about this for running long long trains on a small layout? Make a power car (or two) out of a box or reefer and then adding cars until the end of the train couples up to the power cars. In effect an endless loop of freights cars going by and going by and going by and going by....

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 01:32:05 AM »
+4
And a grade crossing with continuously flashing lights, a convertible, and a skeleton in the driver's seat.
N Kalanaga
Be well

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 01:50:28 AM »
+1
And a grade crossing with continuously flashing lights, a convertible, and a skeleton in the driver's seat.

Now THAT'S funny, right there. :D
Mark G.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 03:38:38 AM »
+3
I have the Virginian project layout scaled down to N in my basement... leaning against the wall...  :lol:

Pic or it didn't happen:

I started when they started on their webcam. Theirs is 4x8 so mine is 26"x56".

Don't ask  :facepalm:

I think Skibbe was going to build it in Z scale...

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 07:04:46 AM »
How about this for running long long trains on a small layout? Make a power car (or two) out of a box or reefer and then adding cars until the end of the train couples up to the power cars. In effect an endless loop of freights cars going by and going by and going by and going by....

I did something like that on my enlarged layout before I tore it down:

:D :D :D

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!