Author Topic: Bachmann 2-6-2 Blowout sale  (Read 2064 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Bachmann 2-6-2 Blowout sale
« on: January 23, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »
I just purchased a Bachmann 2-6-2 (same mech as 0-6-0 switcher) for "projects" for under $40 from one of the large on-line closeout houses. It comes painted and unlettered, just the way I like it. Also has old style Rapido couplers, an easy fix. It does have the moror sticking out back of the cab. My question is this: is this the new improved mechanism and all wheel pickup tender, or did I buy a dog?
Otto K.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:27:44 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7943
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Bachmann 2-6-2 Blowout sale
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
I believe that's one of the newer runs. You can tell by the darker colored driver tires.

They're pretty nice engines, especially for the coin.

These are actually the engines that make me wish they'd bring back their Reading Consols.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:40 PM »
Coincidence that my youngest son brought his 2-6-2 Prarie into my office and asked me to put DCC into it. Anyone done it?
Bachmann part# 51551

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5506
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
Wouldn't the newest run have boxing gloves?

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »
Well, yea, that's what I thought too. Also the latest version has shorter motor I believe. But there were multiple upgrades, can't keep it all straight  :P
Figured forty bucks was worth a try...
Otto K

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3118
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 07:20:35 PM »
Mark @spookshow states the the open frame motor is gone on the latest runs and no longer protrudes from the cab.  Even so, if this has the needle tender axles, then it will be just fine.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
Man, I wish I could justify one.  I had one in HO years ago as a kid and there's a nostalgia factor.

The closest reason I could come to needing one was that the Colorado Springs & Cripple Creek District Railway (which connected with the Colorado Midland) had some 2-6-2s, but they were tiny (having been modified from 2-6-0s) compared to the Bachmann USRA model.  Even the Model Power 2-6-0 with a trailing truck would be too big.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:53:09 AM »
Dr Hotballs:  If you're up to a real challenge, it should be possible to regauge the Marklin Z 2-6-0 mechanism to N.  In theory, all you would need are new axles, as all axles are geared.  You'd then have to build, or find, cylinders to fit the wider gauge, but that would be simple compared with the mechanism.

Driver diameter about 42 inches, driver wheelbase about 9.5 feet (measured with a 1/64 inch ruler)

I have several on my narrow gauge, and, in spite of the primitive motor, they run surprisingly well.  All of mine are at least 30 years old, so Marklin may have improved the motor by now.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:21:10 PM »
I just purchased a Bachmann 2-6-2 (same mech as 0-6-0 switcher) for "projects" for under $40 from one of the large on-line closeout houses. It comes painted and unlettered, just the way I like it. Also has old style Rapido couplers, an easy fix. It does have the moror sticking out back of the cab. My question is this: is this the new improved mechanism and all wheel pickup tender, or did I buy a dog?
Otto K.

Yep, it seems I did buy a dog :| Maybe...
In came in today's mail. (I still find it incredible that I can purchase a loco on a whim on Monday, in Brooklyn NY, and have it in my SoCal USPS mailbox Wednesday afternoon). But I digress.
The loco is one of the older designs, with only the front tender truck picking up power (wth?) and the motor sticking out of the cab. But, it does run very slow, smoothly and extremely quietly, going forward. Impressive. In reverse, it's another matter, there's a click and a bump and a skip every revolution. I haven't yet decided whether to keep it or send it back... after all I bought it for kitbash fodder. It's not a bad little critter, with its 51" drivers, see below.
OttoK.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:32:04 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 09:38:07 PM »
Dr Hotballs:  If you're up to a real challenge, it should be possible to regauge the Marklin Z 2-6-0 mechanism to N.  In theory, all you would need are new axles, as all axles are geared.  You'd then have to build, or find, cylinders to fit the wider gauge, but that would be simple compared with the mechanism.

Driver diameter about 42 inches, driver wheelbase about 9.5 feet (measured with a 1/64 inch ruler)

I have several on my narrow gauge, and, in spite of the primitive motor, they run surprisingly well.  All of mine are at least 30 years old, so Marklin may have improved the motor by now.

Thanks...  I don't really need a locomotive from the CS&CCD Ry (a.k.a. "The Short Line")...  I was just trying to come with a reason to buy a Bachmann 2-6-2.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »
I have the 2013 version and I would like to upgrade to the 2015 version, but I don't know how to order one online with any confidence that it is the new version I'll be getting.  Most sites have stock photos of older versions so one just doesn't know.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +985
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 10:02:40 PM »
Tim,

You can usually figure it out from the stock numbers.  May take a bit of research on your part, but, at least in my experience, Bachmann does issue a new stock number when they upgrade their models, even if they have the same road name.  In this case, I am guessing anything that comes with a rapido coupler is older stock, but might be worth checking.  Of course, a phone call or email;to the shop sometimes clears up any questions.

Tom D
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 11:07:49 PM »
Part numbers are the same.

modeltrainstuff has the newer run. The shell is much improved as is the pilot detail. The new motor has a slightly higher starting speed and a much higher top speed than the previous "out the back" motor. But it certainly isn't bad. The mechanism is actually as smooth as silk even without tender pickup. Tender is also retooled, but nearly identical. Both runs have the same 4 wheel tender pickup, which is sucky.

As is Bachmann's want, they managed to mess up the lining up of the steam feeder pipes to the cylinder. Ugh. So close to greatness, then... Ugh.

I highly recommend building your own live drawbars if you are going to use a Spectrum USRA tender with these. You get a much closer coupling and better contact.

CNJ is a new road name last year and only appears on the very latest run. If you want one guaranteed to be the new run get one of these.

There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 06:46:51 PM »
Well, she's going back. I called the seller and they emailed me a prepaid return UPS label and will send me a replacement engine, one of two left in stock, after testing it. I'd say that's pretty nice support. Tbc...
Otto K.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 12:58:09 AM »
I like the mechs in these, I've use them to make a few different things now...
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)