Author Topic: My first scratchbuilt tank car-Brass  (Read 983 times)

tankcar

My first scratchbuilt tank car-Brass
« on: January 21, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
+4
I built this car several years ago, but didn't have a camera. I used my wife's I phone 6+ and took some alright photos. I photographed and measured the car at our local Hercules plant. The body is .015 sheet brass wrapped around a broom handle that measured out perfect. The ends were turned on a lathe.  Thanks for looking, Bobby [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: My first scratchbuilt tank car-Brass
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
The tankmaster strikes again - nice scratchbuilding job!
The only thing that bugs me (and gives it away that it is a model), are the springs in the trucks. I also realize that it is not your fault (that is how those trucks come from the factory). Scale sprung trucks always use much lighter springs than the prototype to make then operational (due to the laws of physics), but that detracts from the realism.  And they always catch my eye.
. . . 42 . . .

tankcar

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
Yup, I agree the springs look awful. I've replaced them  with heavier ones, and it made the side frames get out of square. They make plastic trucks that have nice looking cast in springs that look better. I'll get around to replacing them eventually. I'm glad you like it, thanks.

Regards, Bobby

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:07:11 PM »
That is stunning. How did you get the brass to stay the same final diameter as the broom handle? I've always found things need to be bent around a smaller radius due to the tendency to spring back. Did you use heat?

Craig

tankcar

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
Thank you Craig. Yes I used heat to softened the brass, then after I rolled it, I heated it and plunged it in oil to harden it. Then I soldered the seam and add four bulkheads. The ends were to heavy to solder, so I glued them with epoxy.

Regards, Bobby

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 12:08:04 PM »
Wow, so the ends were turned from and solid piece of brass?

tankcar

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »
Yes, I turned them on a lathe used mostly for auto starter armatures. My friend that worked at the Hercules plant got the brass rod for me. He's also the person that got me on the property. Thanks for looking.

Regards, Bobby