Author Topic: Ruh Roh - Hunter at CSX  (Read 10458 times)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
Re: Ruh Roh - Hunter at CSX
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »
CSX has furloughed over half of the operating crew at Barr yard in Chicago fueling rumors it will close. The furloughs went back about 15 years into the seniority list. My son is an engineer/conductor here in Illinois and sees the writing on the wall. And yes the brake sticks are now verboten.

Also heard the Tropicana juice train switched over to trucks because of the current ineptitude. It's "Weekend At Bernies" down at Jacksonville with EHH wheeled in tethered to his oxygen tank.

Bob

CN and CP are both hiring crews in Toronto and area... somewhat desperate for crews. CN especially after VIA raided about 30 hoggers from them. Of course, he'd have to move here.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2017, 05:45:15 PM »
Also heard the Tropicana juice train switched over to trucks because of the current ineptitude.

Goddamnit!  :x

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1557
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
Also heard the Tropicana juice train switched over to trucks because of the current ineptitude.
Has Tropicana switched to trucks or is it just that a dedicated juice train is no longer being run?
Looking at the Ashland VA railcam, for example, you can see trains with small blocks of Tropicana cars mixed in with a majority of the cars carrying containers and trailers.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »
+1
Has Tropicana switched to trucks or is it just that a dedicated juice train is no longer being run?
Looking at the Ashland VA railcam, for example, you can see trains with small blocks of Tropicana cars mixed in with a majority of the cars carrying containers and trailers.

CSX has been running empties southbound on hotshot pig trains for years.  Used to see them behind my office when I was in Silver Spring MD.  not sure about northbound.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2017, 06:58:29 AM »
Headcount at CSX reduced 3.4% from June to July as reported by Wall Street service I subscribe to. Resulting number of employees is 10.7% less than the same month in 2016.

Not to be the only one, UP announced they are axing 750 management and administrative positions (8%) during Q3. That equates to 1.8% of their workers.

I'm certain we'll be told this will result in more efficient and better service. I know it won't enable my rates to go down.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »
Headcount at CSX reduced 3.4% from June to July as reported by Wall Street service I subscribe to. Resulting number of employees is 10.7% less than the same month in 2016.

This articles says CSX employment down 785 from June to July 2017, with 588 in "train and engine" category,  and down 2150 so far for all of 2017. Management has taken a 951 person hit this year, most in Jacksonville.

Railway Age: CSX cut 785 jobs in July

Shippers are complaining to the STB and the STB is asking CSX and HH when it will get better. HH is saying it's exaggerations and lies.

Railway Age: CSX, customers and STB: The letters keep flying

Railway Age: Harrison to CSX shippers: “We apologize”

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2017, 06:03:12 PM »
I swear HH's puppet masters have a short on CSX. That's the ONLY reason I can imagine ANYONE in the business world telling their customers to get stuffed the way he has.

It's unreal.

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2017, 08:14:42 PM »
 :o  Will HH be the first to tow an oxygen tank in to testify before Congress?  A Congressional inquiry is coming because of log jammed trains and disruption of the economy.

Blazeman

• Crew
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »
Hearing Avon hump turned back on.

Blazeman

• Crew

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/08/23/csx-sparks-epic-railroad-traffic-jam-wsj-2.html

Ag-Com on the CSX Hanover Sub is mentioned in this story near the end.  5 day improvement in shipping according to the numbers

Blazeman

• Crew
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2017, 11:36:29 AM »
This articles says CSX employment down 785 from June to July 2017, with 588 in "train and engine" category,  and down 2150 so far for all of 2017. Management has taken a 951 person hit this year, most in Jacksonville.

Meanwhile, in an encouraging development elsewhere:

Furloughed railroad workers rehired en masse, but is coal really growing?

Warren Buffett's BNSF Railway has called back roughly 4,000 of the 5,000 furloughed workers across its system last year, reflecting stronger volumes of coal, grain, and intermodal containers and trailers, a spokesman said.

Eric M. Johnson

Reuters   

August 28, 2017 | SEATTLE—BNSF Railway has called back roughly 4,000 of the 5,000 workers who were furloughed across its system last year, reflecting stronger volumes of coal, grain, and intermodal containers and trailers, a spokesman said.

Like other major United States railroads, the company owned by billionaire investor Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway has shed thousands of union and management jobs in recent years as it strives to improve efficiency and cut costs.

BNSF, the top US coal carrier, laid off roughly 5,000 employees from mid-2015 to early 2016. The Texas-based company and its peers faced cost pressures from plunging coal volumes as the strong US dollar hurt exports of the fuel and utilities switched to burning cheaper natural gas.

BNSF brought back roughly 4,000 of those workers as coal volumes rose this year, along with high levels of grain and upticks in intermodal containers and trailers, and sand used in hydraulic fracturing, spokesman Zak Andersen said.

"We have seen an increase in coal due mainly to increased natural gas prices and higher electricity demand driven by seasonal trends," he said. "Although we anticipate the long-term trend to decline."

The company had not previously disclosed the scale of the callbacks.

Even after the rehirings, BNSF has downsized to around 42,000 employees from 48,000 in 2014 through layoffs, attrition, and cutting two operating divisions, Mr. Andersen said.

Union Pacific said earlier this month it would cut roughly 500 management jobs and 250 railroad workers by mid-September, while CSX has laid off hundreds of management and rail employees since the beginning of the year, as both companies pursue cost-cutting plans.

Railroads furlough workers, rather than fire them, to guard against variations in volume, but they risk a labor shortage if employees sidelined during freight recessions find jobs elsewhere, said independent analyst Tony Hatch.

"Longer term, there are still labor rules causing inefficiencies and padding the payrolls, so railroads strive to not replace costly employees on a one-to-one basis with recovered growth," Mr. Hatch said. "This is also the end of a major labor negotiation round."

The major US railroads, including BNSF, are locked in strained contract negotiations with six unions representing more than 85,000 workers.

BNSF's worker recall has not been uniform across its system, which spans 32,500 miles of track across the western two-thirds of the United States. Fewer workers were back along traditional coal routes in the lower Midwest, Andersen said.

People also remained out of work in Superior, Wis., one employee said. BNSF laid off 25 machinists in Glendive, Mont., and closed its Murray Yard in Kansas City, Mo., cutting 29 machinists, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers said in April.

This story was reported by Reuters.

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
Precision railroading :facepalm:

I saw a video over on facebook of the cars(first a tanker, then a cut of boxes) rolling through the town, almost ran a guy over...Scary stuff...

https://www.wthr.com/article/13-investigates-uncovers-startling-information-about-csx-freight-car-collision-near-downtown

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »
Back topic - I got to chat up one of the local bridge inspectors last weekend. Deleting the curse words they are pretty much convinced HH is there to cut the place up and sell it off.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B