Author Topic: Seeking advice bending micro tubing for LED lighting  (Read 1977 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Re: Seeking advice bending micro tubing for LED lighting
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 11:16:31 PM »
....I'm just happy when I get the LED inside to line up, and actually produce light through the fibre.

Craig

That was always my general goal too but then I started to notice that, on my SP switcher models, the gyralights on some were displaying the effect brightly at a very wide viewing angle while some were displaying it brightly but only in a very narrow viewing angle (almost straight on). These patterns can also be seen on a wall the locos are facing with the layout room lights off, with some lighting up the whole wall evenly with no defined edges and others producing a much tighter and more defined circle of light on the wall. The installations on these switchers was essentially identical but I think the only variable was how the light-source end of the fiber optic strand was prepared (rough cut vs. polished and maybe slightly mushroomed). There's also the possibility that a little Micro Krystal Klear strayed onto the light-source end of the strand(s) when they were installed in some models and not in others, perhaps having an affect on the pattern.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:21:17 PM by tehachapifan »