Author Topic: Sigh... Nothing Left to Buy...  (Read 2782 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +718
Re: Sigh... Nothing Left to Buy...
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »
Kiz is old-school (film) and no scanner.  :(

Kiz, get a Nikon Coolscan scanner! :)

Or how about another camera bag?  You can never have enough of those.  Different situation requires a different bag.  Now I know why women have so many hand bags!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
My wife has a cheap digital camera, but for some reason, when I try to post a photo here, bad things happen...

Hmm... he figured out how
to post a picture of me...

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »
+1
I think I'm going to turn on
Kiz and tell him what he should do...

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 01:44:14 PM »

Hmm... he figured out how
to post a picture of me...

Hmm... Kiz's son the
computer programmer
posted my beautiful
picture years ago...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
I think I'm going to turn on
Kiz and tell him what he should do...

Hmm... I'm gonna keep it
polite and tell Kiz, "Jump
in the lake!!!

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1229
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 11:34:22 PM »
Of course, there's an easy answer to this quandary.  And it doesn't involve a major change in your photographic mindset either.

Unless...the equipment is what its all about to you.

As correctly stated previously, taking photos is the heart of photography.  What you take them with is only part of the equation.

Both film and digital photography have the same purpose...which is to manipulate light on to a medium so a scene may be replicated for general distribution.  Capturing a visual moment of time to share with other humans.

I agree that Nikon F2's are some of the best 35mm film professional SLR's ever made.  I am torn between Kodachrome 64 and Fujichrome Velvia 100 as being the best color positive film...and I'll probably never make a decision as to which one was "best" because I'll never use them again for my photographic needs.

That's just me.  For you, no reason to give up on film...unless it becomes unavailable.  I've still got thousands of unscanned 35mm slides to eventually scan and play with, and my Ektagraphic projector remains cold and unused in the basement closet, so, in some ways I'm still transitioning into the digital photographic age because of all those thousands of photos I took on film that are in storage.

However, for you, no need to even think about giving your precious F2A's up, or the glass that goes with 'em.  BUT, a pro Nikon DSLR body would be a very nice accessory to compliment your photographic needs.  Everything you do with a professional 35mm film body, you can do with a recent Nikon professional DSLR.

If you want speed, durability, dust and water resistance, the new Nikon D5 is King, and will only set you back about 7 grand after adding in some essential accessories.  12 frames per second (200 shots in a single burst if you want), ISO from 100 to an unbelievable 3,280,000 (!!!) and many, many more top-of-the line professional features I won't list. Only drawback I can see (other than price) is the 20.8MP sensor resolution.

If you want picture quality, the Nikon D810 is hard to beat.  Sure, there are other brands that now have higher resolution, but the D810 is well-known for its combination of a 36.3MP sensor, color handling and ultra high dynamic range.  It's the choice for many pro landscape and portrait/fashion photographers.  On sale now for $2799!

Both of these pro Nikon FX bodies are compatible with all of your Nikkor glass, but will vastly outperform film for your stated available light shooting preference.

Why not?  For me, it opened up a whole new world of photographic possibilities, and I sold my last F2 film body about five years ago...not that that'll happen with you, but for me...I have no desire to go back to film because my Nikon digital SLR's allow me to shoot exponentially more photos, experiment with different compositions, color, infra-red, filters, black & white, granularity, low-light, flat effect...an much more, without ever having to change to a different type of film or worry about running out of it during an essential, one-time-only shoot.

Luckily for film enthusiasts, Kodak has reintroduced Ektachrome, and is seriously considering re-introducing Kodachrome.  Film is making a comeback!  In the meantime, if you can tilt your preferences just a tiny bit...you can experiment with the latest digital Nikon pro FX equipment, which should go a long way towards fulfilling your "buying" habit! 

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
Digital just doesn't appeal to me, especially the prices. The most I spent for any of my F2A's was $200 :D.

Right now, I'm in the New Orleans area until Saturday. I went to the French Quarter today and shot for close to 2 hours. However, I'm not as young as I was and the weight of the camera bags and 2 cameras w/motor drives got to me so I headed back to my sister-in-law's house in Metairie. I'll go out again this afternoon for a couple of hours and photograph some of New Orleans' unique cemeteries... they're actually tourist attractions!

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/marie-laveaus-tomb

Hmm... I'm speechless...

"It works! It works!"

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »
+1
My wife has a cheap digital camera, but for some reason, when I try to post a photo here, bad things happen...

Sounds like an excuse to not have to learn something new. Seriously, try the Gallery, it is very easy to use.

Good thing the photography board was added, now that you've given up on model railroading!..Otherwise, you'd have no reason to tell us about all the stuff you bought, and rarely use! :facepalm:

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »
Sounds like an excuse to not have to learn something new. Seriously, try the Gallery, it is very easy to use.

Good thing the photography board was added, now that you've given up on model railroading!..Otherwise, you'd have no reason to tell us about all the stuff you bought, and rarely use! :facepalm:

I use it.

Hmm... Kiz is fondling
his equipment as I
speak...

"It works! It works!"

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »

Hmm... Kiz is fondling
his equipment as I
speak...

That is a bit too much information.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 11:08:52 PM »
+1
Hmm... Kiz is fondling
his equipment as I
speak...

As long as Kiz isn't folding your equipment, I think we're good here.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »
+1
Hmm... Kiz is fondling
his equipment as I
speak...

As long as Kiz isn't folding your equipment, I think we're good here.

Wow, equipment large enough to fold.  Congrats!
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 11:58:11 AM »
+1