Author Topic: Cumberland Station TTrak and Other Adventures  (Read 36882 times)

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1657
Re: Cumberland Station TTrak and Other Adventures
« Reply #345 on: July 19, 2024, 10:49:09 PM »
I’m working that weekend, but that might not be enough to keep me from trying my hand at it!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5833
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #346 on: July 23, 2024, 10:44:00 AM »
So here's an idea...

I was looking up David's build page for the Newport and Rock Falls http://davidksmith.com/modeling/layouts/NewportRockFalls/nrf2.htm layout, and ended up wandering around the treasure trove of small layout plans he has always had a talent for, and realized I already have a major chunk of one of them in the form of the Lightning Bug diorama he so graciously gifted to me earlier this year.  He had cannibalized the rest of the layout for other projects, leaving this as a stand-alone scene with the animated mill wheel and spillway, a functioning fly fisherman, and a few lighting effects, and of course, the dazzling field of fireflies.

Here's his plan for the "Last White River Northern"http://davidksmith.com/modeling/layouts/WR&N-10/lastwr&n.htm, an homage to the first WRN he built as a teenager.  Like the original, it's a 36" diameter circle, with roundy roundy on the perimeter, and some cleverly laid out switching in the middle.  I read through the build carefully and started conjuring up a way to reconstruct the whole shebang so it would again be a functional railroad.

The trick would be to dumb it down to accommodate my rapidly fading modeling faculties.  David built it in his usual meticulous way, hand laying code 40 track, scratch building turnouts etc.  This portion had been fully scenicked and detailed, and the result is just stunning.  Unfortunately, in separating it from its original form, the tracks were simply cut off, and it became a static display.

I was chatting with DKS yesterday about it, and he assured me that nothing is sacred, and if I chose to alter it there would be no sweat off his nose.  As along as the goal was to enjoy it, anything goes.

So I got to thinking...  What if I could work it out so the perimeter track could be installed as a TTrak balloon track, so I could attach it to a larger set up, where other modelers could enjoy seeing it?  Something like this:

This came about after pondering keeping the circular concept, and building a slow-rotation turntable so the whole layout could rotate in one direction while a short train traveled in the other (sort of the scene passing the train, rather than the usual vice-versa), which is still a cool idea, but not something I would be achieving anytime soon.  But altering it to a variant of TTrak standard could make it something that might actually happen, and would definitely be a crowd pleaser.

So for this to be functional, yet properly in keeping with the level of modeling David prefers, the main issue is the track.

Kato Unitrak won't work at all, not only because of its looks, but the geometry and available turnouts simply can't fit as the plan is drawn.  There are two curved turnouts shown in the plan which might be adapted from Peco c55, but there's still the issue of tie spacing.  The main loop could be constructed entirely of Peco c55 to make the transition less jarring, but a better answer might be to go with Micro Engineering c70.  I'm not sure if there's a curved turnout available from them, but it would be worth looking into.  Worst case, I could contract out a couple of hand made turnouts to one of our more talented craftsmen to take care of that.

Another option would be to say "Thanks for the memories" to David, and tap his enjoyment of retro N scale modeling, and just do the whole thing in C80, and do the best I can to make it look as good as it can, and move on with track I have on hand.  (The accountants at the Laurel Valley home office are leaning in this direction).

The critical TTrak interface would be off stage on the transition piece, so that can be buried in some other scene of my own making. 
I would wire it as a reverse loop, with a separate circuit to operate the branch line.  Since there isn't a run-around where the branch meets the main, perhaps I could have a block that allows the train to head over to the transition section where cars can be picked up and set out.

Bottom line is, it's unfair to the world for me to keep this squirreled away in my office. 
It needs to be enjoyed by the undeserving masses.  It will make the world a better place.

Or, maybe I've just lost my mind completely, and should get back to work.

Just spitballin'

Lee

« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 10:49:58 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2108
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #347 on: July 23, 2024, 11:17:43 AM »
+1
You forget that both Fleischmann and Minitrix have made curved turnouts that are absurdly sharp with 9 3/4 on the outside and diving to maybe 7 1/2 on the inside aka R1 / R2 in european design standard.

I've got two of those on my Ross Run logging module.   I converted them to manual by adding a ground throw and also wiring jumpers from the points to the stock rail, but given that, they have become quite reliable.   Since nothing is moving through them much faster than 10mph I haven't had any issues.  I did have to put a layer of .010 on the inside of the one guard rail to keep from picking the frog.

They also made an R3/R4 if I remember. 

They are C80 but take a look at my Ross Run module this September.   I've going from C80 to Peco C55 and back again several times.   The other absurdly tight turnouts are Peco SLI C80's, same deal.   Weathered, painted, buried in dirt, looks good to me.

I got mine used off of Ebay as I had no intention of keeping those monster above-table solenoids on there.  But I think they are still manufactured, just not either easy to find or inexpensive.

You'll see railroads have a complete aversion to a curved turnout now, but in the day, they were surprisingly common even on main lines.  Today you can't even route a main line through the diverging side of a turnout and you're required to have tangent like 100' in front of the points.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 11:30:59 AM by randgust »

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #348 on: July 23, 2024, 11:46:51 AM »
In reading about the 1973 WRN, he did design for the Trix trackwork.

I suppose I could put out an APB to the membership and see if there aren't any survivors floating around in junk boxes.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #349 on: July 23, 2024, 12:26:43 PM »
Didn't Shinahara have some code 70 curved turnouts?
Aaron Bearden

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8563
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #351 on: July 23, 2024, 01:30:20 PM »
Also, Lee, this might also need some of my Unitrack adapter things. Let me know what you'll need. They take about an hour or so to print.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #352 on: July 23, 2024, 01:38:32 PM »
I'm really just in the chin wagging stage on this, but it might be a good winter project.

As for your transitions, I've just been cutting back a piece of Unitrak and soldering the regular track to it.  Once it's all painted and ballasted, it's not so bad.
With a change in rail height, yours leaves a jump that ends up catching plow pilots and truck frames unless you file down the Unitrak rail.  You need to rework it so the rail head aligns instead of the bottom.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8563
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #353 on: July 23, 2024, 02:17:19 PM »
As for your transitions, I've just been cutting back a piece of Unitrak and soldering the regular track to it.  Once it's all painted and ballasted, it's not so bad.
With a change in rail height, yours leaves a jump that ends up catching plow pilots and truck frames unless you file down the Unitrak rail.  You need to rework it so the rail head aligns instead of the bottom.

That's entirely related to the track chosen, but I also posit that there are far worse situations that just naturally occur in TTRAK layouts.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2108
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #354 on: July 23, 2024, 02:21:24 PM »
+1
There's lots of curved turnouts out there, but the R1/R2 combination on a 'ready to run' mode even in C80 seems exclusively european. 

But you can still do some really tight geometry.   My Ross Run module is only 21x42 inches, this is the pre-scenery view.

Link:  http://www.randgust.com/RossRunPlan1.jpg

They are still out there - Trix part numbers are 14956 and 14955 if you are searching.

C40 would be nice, but I've found that on a module that's going to be portable, durability wins.  My Hickory Valley was built in 1976 and still running today.  It got dropped down a flight of stairs once.