Author Topic: New Atlas Catalog (Jan-Jun 2017) is out!  (Read 2254 times)

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
Re: New Atlas Catalog (Jan-Jun 2017) is out!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »
+1
Well crap, more MN&S artwork that needs correcting.   I ordered one PS4000 hopper in hopes it would get fixed before release, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. 

The box car I guess I can make my own decals as it's one I'd like to have.  Haven't looked at the RI PS-1 yet.  Not sure I really want to.   :(

What's going on Atlas?

Jason

Well crap, another nondescript post from Jason complaining about artwork and no offer to help...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »
Well crap, another nondescript post from Jason complaining about artwork and no offer to help...

Really @Cory Rothlisberger ?  Here's my PM's to you -

Cory,  is it possibly to just let me fix this?  Or at least give me a week to send you a corrected file that you can do with what you want.  I already have some of it drawn (a more correct large "MNS"), and I found that I have have lettering I can use to redo the diamond logo.

Between your artwork, my pictures, the Tangent models, and artwork I've drawn in the past for other personal projects, I can make it right.

Cory, what's the status on this car?  Do you just want an idea of what can be fixed, or can I fix it and sent it to you?  I've done all the fun stuff like the large letters, the diamond logo with correct lettering and the reporting marks and I'm down to the boring stuff like deminsional data.

I'm more than happy to finish the car and send back an .IA format if you'd like.  Also, if there's some sort of actual template for painting the models separate from what shows in the catalogs, I could use that to get everything placed correctly.

Okay, I've started to put a few things together including reaching out the the MFCL on some lettering that is wrong on both your car and the Tangent car.

Without going any further, let me tell you that the lettering in the MNS logo is wrong for this car.  It's supposed to be a serif font.  I have some photo examples if you'd like them.  Is that too much to change at this point? 

The rest is mostly lettering shape, size and placement, but there's a lot of it (basically every place there's lettering).  I should be able to get you my notes in a couple days.

That's when you left Atlas and I had to follow up with Paul -

Last week I got into a conversation with Cory about the recently announced MN&S PS-4000 covered hopper, but in his leaving, he didn't get back to me about it.  I'm hoping this is something you can help me with.

I have a particular attachment to the MN&S growing up in Minnesota (and the MNS went right past my high school), but also I try to build my freight car roster off actual train list of the CGW railroad and this exact car is on those lists (more than once).

I have been waiting for BLMA to produce this car since I saw Tangent do it in HO and was exited to see it in the Atlas catalog this year.  But after looking at the artwork, I lost my excitement.  I generally hold Atlas at the highest level when compared to other manufacturers, but the artwork shown for the MNS hopper in the catalog and at the announcement might be the worst I've seen from Atlas.  Every bit of lettering is either the wrong font, wrong size, wrong place, wrong spacing or some combination of those.  It's not even the right diamond logo (which is also way too small).

I had offered to Cory, and would like to offer to you, to fix the artwork myself.  I've already addressed the logo and the larger issues and have left some of the tedious chores of the smaller lettering.  As it stands, I'm already making a decal for myself, but would much rather apply this to getting the model corrected.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Hi Paul, thanks for the response,

My email is:

j**********r@********.com

I'd like to help in whatever capacity I can to get this car corrected, so definitely have someone contact me.  I'm up for a phone call too.  It might be an easier way to communicate what all is going on.  I can be reached at ***-***-****.

Okay, thanks Paul.  Cory also mentioned another MN&S car (box car?) you had in the works that maybe I should look at which I'd be more than happy to do.

I you ever have any lesser followed or obscure railroads from MN or IA  you'd be interested in have another set of eyes on, just let me know.  I've been researching these roads for years and have probably already done decal or logo project for them.

I have to say, I'm taken back by your statement. 

Jason
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:03:38 AM by wcfn100 »

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 10:46:47 AM »
+1
Oh bankrupt blue RI GP38-2's.  I see one of these in my future to patch for the P&LE.  Doesn't everyone need more PC gondola's or just me?  And it's nice to see the CNW gondola that they bought from PC and patched.   There was an article in one of the model railroad magazines these. 

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
+3
@wcfn100

I am well aware and appreciative of your help with the hopper, that comment was more in reference to the PS-1. My gripe is simply in how you air out your grievances. Take your observations, and put them in an email instead of whining about it on a discussion forum.

Do also keep in mind the intense pressure that R&D is under to produce such an all-encompassing catalog. Currently, there are only three people researching and plotting 60 different production runs in a span of less than 3 months. Top that with all of their other everyday responsibilities in dealing with the factories, track and QC inspections, and you can bet stuff is going to slip or end up "close enough" to be represented in a catalog.

So again, instead of spelling out your frustrations out on a discussion forum, a simple, kind email directly to the source with some guidance on how to fix an issue goes along way.

Atlas Paul

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 01:28:10 PM »
+1
Well crap, more MN&S artwork that needs correcting.   I ordered one PS4000 hopper in hopes it would get fixed before release, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. 

The box car I guess I can make my own decals as it's one I'd like to have.  Haven't looked at the RI PS-1 yet.  Not sure I really want to.   :(

What's going on Atlas?

Jason

Bobby said he worked with you and fixed the artwork.   

As far as the box car, the artwork is all produced off of scanned photos.  If there is something that you don't think is correct, let us know, but it should be correct for at least one of the road numbers offered.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »

Do also keep in mind the intense pressure that R&D is under to produce such an all-encompassing catalog. Currently, there are only three people researching and plotting 60 different production runs in a span of less than 3 months. Top that with all of their other everyday responsibilities in dealing with the factories, track and QC inspections, and you can bet stuff is going to slip or end up "close enough" to be represented in a catalog.

I spoke to the Atlas folks at the Springfield show and from what I gathered from the conversation, you are missed (both as "body" sharing the workload, and as a friend).
. . . 42 . . .

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »
"If you build it, they will copy you (10 years later)" :D

Looking forward to a few more to add to the fleet.

Thank you @Cory Rothlisberger and @Atlas Paul !
The S.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »
Bobby said he worked with you and fixed the artwork.   

@Atlas Paul  - No one ever contacted me. 

As far as the box car, the artwork is all produced off of scanned photos.  If there is something that you don't think is correct, let us know, but it should be correct for at least one of the road numbers offered.

At this point it's probably best just for me to leave it alone as I know everyone is tired of it.  I'll make future buying decision based on artwork provided and will try and keep future criticisms off the forums.   

Sorry for the hassle Paul (and Cory), and thanks for listening even if it didn't work out the way I had hoped.

Jason

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »
Most of the announcements of BLMA re-runs are missing from the catalog  :?

Trinity 5660 Hoppers
NS Top Gon's
31k Crude Oil Tankers