Author Topic: SP Life Line Blood Donor passenger car  (Read 713 times)

jdg

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
SP Life Line Blood Donor passenger car
« on: January 11, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »
Does anyone have some good pictures of the Southern Pacific "Life Line" Blood Donor passenger ca?. I have a found a few through google but they are small size. I am trying to recreate the car or if anyone has one of the NSE cars that they ran for sale I'd be interested. Thanks.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
Re: SP Life Line Blood Donor passenger car
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:52:30 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:56:38 PM by craigolio1 »

jdg

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:14:51 AM »
Thanks. Same ones I have been able to find plus the ones over on brasstrains.com (HO brass car pics).

Am having trouble matching up the script font for "The Life Line" part.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +852

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +943
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
... trouble matching up the script font for "The Life Line" part.

Good luck with that. It looks to be a signmaker's font, similar to what we call in the trade a "display face". These typefaces come and go with frustrating regularity in the regular typography market, and then the market is cluttered beyond hope these days with hundreds of kitchen-table artists hanging out their font-design shingle. When clients would come to us with "match this!" requests, I knew it was going to be hours of poring through sample books and (eventually) online, a service for which we were rarely compensated.

I suspect in this case it would be specific to a certain sign artist or signmaker supply company of the day. Bear in mind the era, when these kind of specialty companies were local in nature and had little bearing on styles and trends elsewhere.

If it were of great importance to match the font for, say, a whole alphabet, I would be looking to San Francisco-area (SP HQ) historic sources for more samples on other signage. Otherwise, the only way to get to an accurate match for the banner will be from a photograph, adjusting the perspective in something like Photoshop, and then tracing it in Illustrator or Corel Draw if the photo isn't sharp enough to make a decal directly.

The HO car artwork looks like a close trace. In comparison to the proto pics I see some areas where they missed, especially the spacing (lack of "kerning") after the caps, and there are minor errors in "contrast" (thick vs. thin lines).
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

jdg

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »
I spoke with Eric at Microtrains today and when they produced the car for the NSE, they ended up tracing over the script lettering from prototype photographs. So this is the route I am going to go. Just need to sketch up a bottle with some blood in it too and then print the decals. The brasstrains website had some good photos to go from.