Author Topic: New Bachmann 4-6-2 just showed up?  (Read 1412 times)

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
New Bachmann 4-6-2 just showed up?
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:54:44 PM »
I saw an ad in MRH and just checked MBK and they are out. Bachmann 4-6-2 light pacific. Hmmmm, anyone want to guess what Bachmann's next loco in n scale might be?

I was really wanting a heavy pacific off the K4 running gear. But it looks like we could be in for a a light one.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: New Bachmann 4-6-2 just showed up?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »
I certainly wouldn't mind a light pacific in N scale, for kitbashing.

The MP shells are made of Kryptonite, as Max had recently fittingly referred to the boiler material, and the chassis/boiler/motor assemblies are very user unfriendly. I basically gave up on them (Paficics and Mikes) as kitbasher fodder, and don't really need/want any distinctive USRA locos on my very non-USRA layout.

The Bachmann HO pics look pretty nice, too. But I'm not holding my breath, there are other Bachmann steam models not released in N scale.
Otto

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »
I agree, a new Pacific would be welcome, and I also would be looking at it for kitbash use.  But the price tags on Bachmann's steam are putting them right out of consideration.  MSRP on the HO version is $400; I would not be surprised to see an N Scale version priced the same.  So let's guess a street price of $275.  That's a lot of scratch for a kitbashing engine.  And if they continue their trend of not offering a non-DCC-equipped version, there will be no cheaper alternative.   I'm glad Model Power is still offering their new engines that way (DCC "ready", but not equipped).

We need to do some experimentation to figure out how to cut those MP boilers more easily.  I tried diamon Dremel disks, and that works, but it's painfully slow - almost like  cutting tungsten.  Whatever that stuff is, it is ungodly hard!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »
The HO model, with DCC Sound can be had for under $230. Still, I share the concern about recent Bachmann pricing.
But, I am a sound guy, and if I can use the tender frame with sound and decoder, modify or replace the tender shell, and have a easily modifiable plastic loco shell, I'm happy. Not that I really need another Pacific... :facepalm:
We'll see what actually happens...
Otto
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:23:47 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:28 AM »
I agree, a new Pacific would be welcome, and I also would be looking at it for kitbash use.  But the price tags on Bachmann's steam are putting them right out of consideration.  MSRP on the HO version is $400; I would not be surprised to see an N Scale version priced the same.  So let's guess a street price of $275.  That's a lot of scratch for a kitbashing engine.  And if they continue their trend of not offering a non-DCC-equipped version, there will be no cheaper alternative.   I'm glad Model Power is still offering their new engines that way (DCC "ready", but not equipped).

We need to do some experimentation to figure out how to cut those MP boilers more easily.  I tried diamon Dremel disks, and that works, but it's painfully slow - almost like  cutting tungsten.  Whatever that stuff is, it is ungodly hard!
'
Ah, but what if it were just a lift off with a RP replacement shell and some minor tweaking, maybe a tender shell too.

I doubt any new pacific is going to run much more than the K4.