Author Topic: Photo links from Google?  (Read 1283 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Photo links from Google?
« on: February 14, 2017, 06:32:44 PM »
For the longest time I accumulated large piles of photos in my Picasa account(s)...  which Google stopped supporting some time ago.  Well, until recently, I could still access the Picasa album archive to provide links for my posts here.  Just like old times, I could right click on the image, grab "Copy Image Location" and paste it between the brackets, and life was good.
googleusercontent.com/CYkm0SGIfjLMYWbQQMz-hSxZ7lAgB_crI51tZrq3hD957EMCuY5PfPWDKIkQ-EAfrz_HlSLoJ7LC3pM=w1920-h1080-no - The links used to look like this.

Apparently the links still work, because they show up just fine in my layout thread.  But now, instead of getting an option to "Copy Image Location", I get a menu that no longer offers this option.  I'm looking for a setting that restores order to the universe. 

I go to Google Photos, where I can access the same photo, but copy image location gives me a giant nonsense address:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Plihaz_APjufSw6CmLriMfBPS8Q0evL5QGwx742n_wbQwZfAhEkXTGRKGvFPS5S5MabqOeLkq1by9RJZmkQgpez9psVVGjMfIl4Y24CRPUtlPjN_009KXpsBOzHiBb9psRJ54SXPljEq9p45kCm4IrLDZODyLERLKoqpcnFXNV6gaOPWQRPrMCaGZtsghOt9CcHGX04VO8jKMTNil03vr4I6Rhwm8WyhB7oxvG15iulLzXa0S9a4teouzi2TTh_-33ZVb28f4m9Iv4WS3NUEG-W3YMJbDlrexN6a1ksNwB1LNtaBw8wLDjqKjpwd8qQufrMcy_2dI6cwES0Co3AcBXJSioT5j-3IUNmfDljwczgyfMsCmjql_PNvbU6OJ-UgL9PTtlpBlA3tMcpzXV3KCtHlWJz_tjn3dSY6fBvlYW8lu47DxyfJ9HNrPcGEyB0mX3elFGDvziJ08YHyYEhRhdZGXKGLXoXle9pfLiBwCk9S5ot5lPzkzVin2KkLsK81MBhRZVbsNUQXBTTFXyRo3NlTz6E6vjxeQNqApsuPTpvDdpLMjlhiTFC0OuF1li-wxxtkx6Uzx3CFQ1mn1jxz8IwdlHHQtxhC4RV8RVPNfDHsRjv-HhVNMg=w1295-h971-no

That doesn't necessarily work with the image link brackets.

I have literally thousands of photos stored on Google, so I'm not interested in spending the better part of the rest of my life moving them to another server.  I just want to be able to provide quick links to them, like I've done for years.  What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Lee

PS - Well, nevermind, it seems to be working... unless you out there in TV land can't see the image I just posted...  Feedback please?
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Photo links from Google?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 06:40:55 PM »
That long URL is all we have right now.  There's a long explanation as to why it is this way, but that doesn't matter for our purposes.  As long as sharing options are correct, there doesn't seem to be any problems linking to that URL and having the image show here.

FWIW, I have one folder I use for posting photos here.  When ever I load a new picture to that folder, I drag and drop it on the window with that folder open.  Then I open the picture into a new window and copy the URL.  I don' think I've ever had a picture stop showing up doing it that way.

Jason

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1229
Re: Photo links from Google?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:57:40 PM »
Just copy the image location, paste it to your post,  add "?jpg" to the end of it (minus the quotes and no space between ? and the last character of the image location), highlight the entire image location, including the added "?jpg", and press the "insert image" button on the posting menu.

Simple, and it always posts.

It will always post in maximum resolution, unless you specify a smaller number near the end of the image location and substitute it behind "=w"...ie. "=w600" when the original size you copied was "=w1528"

Here's an example:

Photo (1) - Photo at "...=w1528..." horizontal resolution:

Photo (2) - Then, I simply change "1528" to "600" behind "...=w..." and it automatically keeps the width:height ratio like this:

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore