Author Topic: Can someone use a Spanish ALCO diesel for possible kitbash source?  (Read 5266 times)

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
Re: Can someone use a Spanish ALCO diesel for possible kitbash source?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 06:41:34 PM »
CJM413:  No, because I don't need GN electrics, but I did do the same thing with a Kato EF58 to make a "Baby Joe" for my MILW interchange. 

I knew that the PRR used 5011 for parts, but didn't know that one of the cabs was reused.  Imagine, taking an F-unit cab off a "kitbashed" electric and putting it on an F-unit!

Frank:  That's exactly how the MILW and South Shore got their Little Joes, so it's certainly a plausible scenario for a freelancer.

Has anyone offered a Russian Decapod in N?

Bachmann offered one in HO, but I don't think they've ever followed-up with a N scale release.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 02:06:07 AM »
No Russian Decapods in N scale that I know of, but they were popular locomotives, and if any manufacturer is interested they should sell well.

Into the 70s there were 5 foot gauge tracks at the Big Pasco Industrial Park, in Pasco, WA, used for storing locomotives going to Russia during WW II.  I assume diesels, and they installed the wide gauge trucks there, after shipping them on standard gauge, because I have no idea how they would haul a big steam engine cross country, then regauge it.

For some reason they didn't take them to Portland or Seattle and then regauge them. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +450
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 03:13:50 AM »
If I recall correctly, Bachmann did say a few years ago now that they were planning to produce the Russian decapod in N, but then put it into the too-hard basket and no more was ever heard of it.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »
No Russian Decapods in N scale that I know of, but they were popular locomotives, and if any manufacturer is interested they should sell well.

It would be an excellent choice for a manufacturer that didn't want to invest in a road-specific model:

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/13/t/159076.aspx