Author Topic: in praise of old steam tooling...  (Read 2650 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: in praise of old steam tooling...
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »

When you consider that road specific steam is selling, I am surprised that Bachpersonn has not issued an  upgraded version of this one.  In fact, B-mann might get away with hanging lettering for several hard coal roads on this one (Delay and Hesitate, Delay, Linger and Wait, CNJ, LV). 

I have done a test fit on the SPECTRUM chassis and it will go, with a few modifications.   I suspect that B-mann could have the modifications done more easily that I could do them.  I have not done it simply because I do not model hard coal roads.

In reality, the thing may need only a better motor and improved current collection.   The chassis itself is not bad.  I fried the motor on one, which is not unusual for these things.   I took out the motor, added some weight, put it onto the track, coupled up a cheater boxcar (Atlas fifty foot on a LL split-frame FA-1 chassis) and it went around the track nicely.  The chassis free wheels, something that many N scale steam locomotive  chassis will not do.  ( I have more than a few steam locomotives from the 1980s and before with fried motors.)

I think there's an issue with the tooling, which means they'd have to start from scratch for the engine (although the tender still kicks around).

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 03:49:46 PM »
George, even if we are a bit off topic, thanks for the ongoing conversation- ...

Tom D
Still off-topic --
Here's a Kato observation lettered with those decals (and the off-color Polly S paint) :
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »
I think there's an issue with the tooling, which means they'd have to start from scratch for the engine (although the tender still kicks around).

Washington's Axe? [Ship of Theseus]

The USRA 0-6-0, 2-6-2 and 4-8-4 Northern may look like the same models from the 1980's but they share NO tooling with those models. It went something like this:
Early 80's: original 0-6-0. Frame and shell extend below cab.
82/83: Chassis and cab retooled to fit leading and trailing trucks. Molds modified from original tooling.
2004: Chassis all new (gears, worm, frame, lower profile wheels). Motor and shell carried over. Running gear modified to fit split frame chassis.
2015: Chassis carried over. All new shell, pilot.
2016: All new chassis with new gears, motor, running gear, side rod stampings. Shell modified for smaller motor.

It really is quite amazing how often this stuff gets changed around.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 10:44:21 PM »
Washington's Axe? [Ship of Theseus]

The USRA 0-6-0, 2-6-2 and 4-8-4 Northern may look like the same models from the 1980's but they share NO tooling with those models. It went something like this:
Early 80's: original 0-6-0. Frame and shell extend below cab.
82/83: Chassis and cab retooled to fit leading and trailing trucks. Molds modified from original tooling.
2004: Chassis all new (gears, worm, frame, lower profile wheels). Motor and shell carried over. Running gear modified to fit split frame chassis.
2015: Chassis carried over. All new shell, pilot.
2016: All new chassis with new gears, motor, running gear, side rod stampings. Shell modified for smaller motor.

It really is quite amazing how often this stuff gets changed around.

Aren't all these "phases" documented (with photos) on Spookshow's Locomotive Encyclopedia?
. . . 42 . . .